Three Horse Hitches(Unicorn or Abreast?)

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Working with Draft Animals Three Horse Hitches(Unicorn or Abreast?)

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Grandad
    Participant

Big Horses,
    Bought the 556 from a neighbor 3 years ago and have had very little grief. Changed a hydraulic hose and one of the pins holding the gate lifting rams fell out which in turn broke a hydraulic fitting. The one thing I don’t like about the baler is that the twine arms put the outside twines to close to the bales end and it is very easy to knock the end twines off when you go to move the bales. There appears to be no way of adjusting the arms so I am thinking of cutting a couple of inches out of the twine arms so the twines won’t be so near the ends. Other than that…no complaints.

J-L
    Participant

My neighbor has a 556 and put’s up 1000-1200 bales per year with it. Says he loves it, but I’m sure there are lemons in every color of equipment. I noticed the twine on the outside wrap being that close to the edge on his bales as well. Makes nice, tight bales though.
    My baler is a 535 JD and has been very good to me. It also makes a good bale and they tend not to rot in the stack as bad as the bales from my Uncle’s New Holland.

Big Horses
    Participant

Thanks guys…that’s kinda what I figured. We used a NH for 25 years and never missed a day…but this JD is always messed up… so I think you’re right… always a chance of a lemon in any color. The bales seem to be ok, and I agree about the twine too close to the ends… but they’re nice tight bales. Ours is one of the “dirtiest” balers I’ve ever seen. There’s hay all over when it’s running. Behind the belts, all over… I’m stopping to clear out hay about every 10 bales or so. I’ve removed the compression rack, that didn’t help… so next I’ll try to put more arms in it… we’ll see. I’m guessing it’ll come together when I get things set right.
    Thanks,
    John

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.