Thrush?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    jen judkins
    Participant

Kristan, I don’t do much frog trimming either…BUT it does help to center and trim the frog to the point where you can use it as a landmark for your coffin bone. It looks as though you have trimmed the apex (which is the most helpful in regard to landmarks), but I would extend that trim all the way back to heels. Especially if you have a twist in the foot. Otherwise, you could be uneven in your trim as the collateral grooves are difficult to see.

Another point I thought of after I posted is that your horse could be sore to palpation due to simple bruising. Drafts have a tendancy for these big frogs and it is hard sometimes to know how much frog to leave on the ground. In lighter horses, its not such a big deal, but on a barefoot draft, you could have too much load on the back half of the frog. I know what you mean by ‘smearing’;). But this might also be another sign that there is too much frog on the ground. Trim it back to a normal appearance and in a position where the heels will share the load.

Wish I lived closer….I love looking at feet

Happy When Hitched
    Participant

It looks as though you have trimmed the apex (which is the most helpful in regard to landmarks), but I would extend that trim all the way back to heels.

And you might try Eqyss micro-tek on it. It’s a product that came out of the space program, developed to decontaminate everything returning to Earth….
    It works on all kinds of things from poison ivy on me to rain-rot on the beasts. Takes care of ringworm with a couple of applications……. It kills viral things as well as bacterial.

If there are pockets that are too deep to cut out, try squirting whatever you are using into them with a syringe (sans needle). Be careful of it squirting back into your face, which will happen if it’s applied with too much force, or the tip of syringe contacts frog surface.

Is also helpful in general to develop a relationship with vet of choice where you can call and pick his/her brain w/’o farm call.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

@Happy When Hitched 7253 wrote:

And you might try Eqyss micro-tek on it.

Thanks for the reply.

Where can I get it?

George

Happy When Hitched
    Participant

I had to google around to see what’s cheapest on the net. I get it from my vet, who started carrying it after I showed him what it did on rain rot.
    Here’s the cheapest I could find. http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/202808/i/1/p/1/product.web?printable=yes 20 bucks for 32 oz sprayer. That doesn’t include shipping….. seems costly, I know. But after I saw what it does, and how useful it is with so many skin problems, I don’t mind paying it. He’s now charging 26 bucks, but I always shut my eyes and slap the money down before I run out…..

Disclaimer: I have never used it on feet. But I would, if a mystery problem came up. Guess I’d trim the frog up, scrub out good w/peroxide and spray soak some 4x4s or cotton, and pack in with duct tape bandage for a couple of days, then take a look….

Here’s a link for comparison shopping…….there are several at around 20 bucks, and you might find a place closer to you, save a bit on shipping if you decide to buy.

Jean
    Participant

Kristan, I have gotten that at Guys in Williston. I used it on rain rot and some other mystery gunk on the mini’s last year.

I don’t remember how much it cost.

Jean

OldKat
    Participant

@jenjudkins 7182 wrote:

Kristan, I don’t do much frog trimming either…BUT it does help to center and trim the frog to the point where you can use it as a landmark for your coffin bone. It looks as though you have trimmed the apex (which is the most helpful in regard to landmarks), but I would extend that trim all the way back to heels. Especially if you have a twist in the foot. Otherwise, you could be uneven in your trim as the collateral grooves are difficult to see.

Another point I thought of after I posted is that your horse could be sore to palpation due to simple bruising. Drafts have a tendancy for these big frogs and it is hard sometimes to know how much frog to leave on the ground. In lighter horses, its not such a big deal, but on a barefoot draft, you could have too much load on the back half of the frog. I know what you mean by ‘smearing’;). But this might also be another sign that there is too much frog on the ground. Trim it back to a normal appearance and in a position where the heels will share the load.

Wish I lived closer….I love looking at feet

This would be my guess as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i agree with jenjudkins. get that hoof knife nice and sharp, and start paring away. i also tend not to cut too often on the frog, but if it’s gross and manky, get it out of there. even if you go too much nothing grows faster than frog. both my horses are kept that short all the time, it does take continual maintenance, but it’s the only way to encourage sole growth, which is what support is. so back to the picture you posted, whittle on that frog till it’s clean solid and dense, get down in that dirt line, oh also, that central culcim can open up some, dig in there and get all the black out, then carefully scrape the white flakey out till its solid. i also could talk feet all day….bob h.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Thanks for all the good replies, it’s makes a lot of sense that this was caused by physical stress from too much frog at the heel. I did go and trim the frog down so the actual heel was bearing the weight, but i didn’t dig in there and clean it out, and I didn’t trim down to the base of the crack. I’ll try to go in and be a little more aggressive today, but it does seem tender. It is quite deep, I actually noticed it from working behind him. It took us several months to get this horse comfortable with us working on his feet, I’m a little nervous about causing him pain while doing it. There is no smell to it and I don’t notice any lameness, I was hoping if I kept the pressure off it would grow out without really getting in there and boring it out.

thanks again for the input, I had no idea what we were dealing with. You are all so helpful

Kristan

hunterseat
    Participant

I can’t comment on farrier/trimmer business but I know that the gold Listerine sprayed on the suspected thrush habitat will eliminate any chance of thrush….
    My horse had a blow-out/abcess in his heel. 🙁 But it looked like a big gash in the bulb. Now I’m dealing with a growth which may or may not be proud flesh – biopsy in a week.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.