Ticks and Fleas

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Doug
    Participant

Might seem like a dumb question but that’s never stopped me before so here goes. What do you use on your cattle to keep them free from ticks and fleas, I don’t think I have a tick problem but I have taken a few ticks off my steers and lyme disease is a problem in our area.

Doug

OldKat
    Participant

@dhbow 17491 wrote:

Might seem like a dumb question but that’s never stopped me before so here goes. What do you use on your cattle to keep them free from ticks and fleas, I don’t think I have a tick problem but I have taken a few ticks off my steers and lyme disease is a problem in our area.

Doug

Do you have sulfur (salt) blocks out for your cattle? I had heard years ago that sulfur salt blocks help inhibit ticks on cattle. I always keep them out, in addition to free choice minerals. I can’t tell you if that is why I have never found ticks on my cattle, but I never have. I check my cows for ticks while they are being worked, which is twice a year…spring and fall.

Rod
    Participant

A few of the things that I use are, pour on long lasting wormers like Ivermectin, putting vinegar in the drinking water and I use cattle rubs drenched with insectide solutions. I also use sulfer in one of my loose mineral licks which is designed for worm control but may help with ticks also.

Doug
    Participant

Thanks for the info I’ll try it all.

Doug

LStone
    Participant

Hi Rod,

Seems like a good thing for me to try if it is good for the horses too. I have heard about vinegar being used with horses for controlling flies too and I was thinking of trying it. Can you tell us more about the type? cider or distilled. Also what ratio vinegar / water do you use for this? Or am I totally misunderstanding the concept?

Thank you

Rod
    Participant

Try this link for lots of testomonies aount the use of cider vinegar for horses.

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/apple-cider-vinegar-for-horses-must-read-138665.html

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.