Timber Framing

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    lancek
    Participant

AMEN brother!!!
    And as far as this type of construction is only being for the rich and faimos I dont agree fashened in a factory type fashion and put to geather as a kit type home it could be far less expensive than stick built construction!

Joshua Kingsley
    Participant

I agree that a factory built log or timber frame is not as econonmical as it could be.
    I would like to learn how to build a timber frame myself. My origional dream was to buy a mixed site of 60 to 100 acres and build with timber off my own land using the horses only. I wanted a sawmill and may some day get to fufill the dream though I may end up on a nice little 35 acre farm on the river bottom or on my dad’s 150 acre farm on the creek.
    I would still like to figure out how to build a small barn timber frame. Though for the horses.
    Joshua

Scott G
    Participant

Attached is a pic of my barn I built about 16 years ago. All of the logs & beams came off the property. The vast majority were skidded with my single Belgian I had at the time and I milled all the logs and beams with an Alaskan chainsaw mill and beam machine. I two-sided the logs due to short logs so I could do decent half-lap joints to run the course. The foundation is solid rock that I laid up with rock from onsite A lot of sweat and a little blood went into that building…

Also attached is a picture of our house. The shell was there when we bought the place 20 years ago built on piers. I put the rock foundation under it as well and added a lot of exterior log and interior wood work. Again, alot of it done with a horse and an Alaskan mill.

Ripping that much wood with an Alaskan mill and beam machine took my sharpening and saw maintainence skills to a whole new level…

You can’t get the personal internal connection like that with a kit…

blue80
    Participant

I think fundamentally, I agree with you all. And I really love timberframe; jaw dropping no two the same character. But as Carl said, a lot is going to be decided by using material that is easily available; material that makes sense to use in a given locality. And the fact is, a great portion of land does not offer timberframe options for the casual landowner. And alas, not all the population is from a mantra “when boys were men and men were as tough as saddle leather” Yep, you are all tough guys, and should be proud of it. Pictures speak volumes in Scotts pictures. That is a real home, not just a house.
    I wonder if the neighbours wanted like structures contracted for them, would they be affordable? Or should they be? Maybe it’s their fault they are not handy and therefore don’t deserve the finished product at low cost. I don’t know.

Last summer, we built a structure in Centennial Wy. Lots of history there, the main lodge had been rebuilt with timbers several times over the past 120 years due to reoccuring fires. The Snowy ski area had just been rebuilt due to a fire. As have most of the lodges in Yellowstone. Doc Hammil lost a lifetime worth of equipment and some structures two years ago in E. Glacier due to fire. So for me its not wrong to build non combustibly but rather fitting.
    I do not have to create a market for myself either, it is already there with all the crazy building codes.

For the solution on our place, we clad the outside of our ICF structure with poor quality Doug Fir, ran through a handhewn planer. It’s very thickest profile is 1.5 inches thick by 12 inches wide, it wouldn’t have made 2by grading standards… We prefinished all sides and then screwed it to the ICF walls. After weathering a couple years, we’ll chink the horizontal shiplap. Inside, we clad the interior walls with blue stain pine, a result of the extensive beetle kill. So we are taking “junk” lumber and making lemonade. I don’t know much about proper forestry techniques, but we thought this was quite stewardly. And the science behind it is worth bragging about. No organics and no air cavity in the wall system;foam, concrete, foam. Which means that the dew point is non existent. Which also means that convection-the largest loss of energy in our structures-is beaten (fiberglass and cellulose only help conductive losses) And with a sealed wall system no bugs, mold, mildew or pollens enter the structure, causing long term indoor air pollution. And I’m proud of this because my wife hates cleaning, and I love her and want to provide a low maintenance place for her to raise our children; she wants to work outside with the horses too, and I hate cleaning myself….I feel like a big man knowing my baby crawling on the floor is just as comfortable without drafts, as I am on my stool.
    Floor systems were poured clear span 38ft., and serve as outdoor living/greenroof garden which we decided to do when the mosquitoes about killed us from the flood irrigated land. (wife was 7 months pregnant and we were living in an army tent on the propery at the time) A prickle against the lumber industry for me is the use of all the OSB products, both sheet goods and floor joist goods. I have seen first hand the decimation in N. Ontario where “every thing goes-three inches and larger, that is.” Seven boxcars a day out of tiny Fort Francis, Ontario. So building with concrete gives a safer-fire, quieter-sleep, efficient-stores solar in the mass, and versatile-huge spans, system. It’s not that I hate wood, just don’t think it makes sense to use in that application. At risk of making everyone hate me, I peruse that I may think it’s silly to experience benefits by using the internet and a foreign made computer but insist institution of proactive building technology -which may also improve quality of life for our families and businesses -is over the top. And I’m not sure anyone actually said that. Preferences and options for individuals are just that, and I’m thankful for this freedom.

How I’d like to have my 12 acres of mixed hardwood forest from our farm in Indiana transplanted here…

Question: Is it true that timbers harvested today have less structural quality, less natural insect resistance, more open grains which allow faster deterioration than the 1840 era timberframes we still hear about?

Question: If timberframe kits became an affordable method for sweetharts out of highschool to build with, is there enough available to supply the blue collar demand? Or will it become a rich mans sport?

Mr. Rutledge, I am thinking about your comment about getting out of construction and into the woods, but for another day. Wow I can sure waste a guys time….

I sure appreciate you all,
    Kevin

blue80
    Participant

Sorry, just can’t wait.

@Biological Woodsman 12788 wrote:

Kevin,

I am not sure how you will get out of construction and into the woods working real horses if you don’t want to use wood in every appropriate application possible?

Mr Rutledge:
    My smart aleck remark is that if I am out of construction, I won’t have to use wood in every appropriate application possible anymore, just things around the farm. I can just supply to others and let them decide?

But for real, you have a great point. So far, I figure it comes down to existing markets, and those currently undiscovered markets that can be legally capitalized on, as it makes good sense to run a for profit enterprise. But I may have moved to the wrong place for a lot of time in the woods as far as harvestable timber, along with the fact I could not honestly pass myself off as a woodsman.

So far I see the markets that I can pursue now, as far as including trees, include:

Beetle kill standing pine: State/private contracts for fire suppression, harvested material to be used for several functions, including interior panelling, furniture, firewood, bonfires, authentic six rail fencing for rich people

Firewood: Ads I see consistently run $150 a cord for softwood unsplit not delivered. $200 split, delivered and stacked. Maybe some opportunity there?

Wyoming declared Russian Olive a noctious weed last year, so the move is on to eradicate it. It loves to grow in inaccessilbe areas-drains, fencerows, floodplain, state habitat areas. I hope to advertise a little and see what market there may be if any against the rubber track low impact skidsteer operators that cut the stump close to the ground and spray it with herbicide. Maybe chip a lot of it, and use the mulch for weed suppression/moisture retention around new growth on the farm?

I really don’t know how to get started feasibly, as we have debt. But this week Georgia Pacific called me asking our company be their primary contractor at their nearby plant. All we have to do is upgrade our liability insurance from 3million to six million, upgrade vehicle insurance to 1 million, provide employer modification report, loss run for OSHA, increase employer liability insurance, fill out 12 page contract etc. etc. Then update all yearly.
    And a bid to do building a new FBI building 7 hrs away in Cheyenne.
    And some condos in New Jersey.
    It scares me; All work that will take me away from the goal of “the simple life” and family priorites. I figure if my kids can’t work with me, it’s not work worth doing. I hope that’s not proud or short sighted, but it’s where I’m at.

So I do take your suggestions seriously, because it’s my hope it’s time to get started real soon….How exciting!

Thanks,
    Kevin

Robernson
    Participant

Jason,
    I watched the video all the way through and must say that your work is very impressive!!(granted that doesn’t hold much weight coming from me but…..)

~~R

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Thanks young man, send me a mailing address and I will send you Chronicles of the Biological Woodsmen DVD, belated winter solstice/Christmas gift.

~

Anonymous
    Inactive

Howdy Folks,

I am a timber-frame carpenter in southern Wisc. Most of my work consists of restoring older timber-frame barns. I have also done a number of barn relocation projects where I dismantle an existing barn, id all the beams and rafters, transport all the pieces to a new location, and reassemble the frame as a different structure. I have done a few of these projects as public barn raising events, where we use a gin-pole and a team of draft horses to help the volunteers re-raise the 100+ year old frame…giving it a new life and a second chance.

See the following links for photos and videos of a couple of the barn raisings.

Rooster
    saveabarn@yahoo.com
    920-728-0353

http://s453.photobucket.com/home/crwtimberframe/allalbums

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/crwtimberframe/Schuster%20Produce%20Barn/?albumview=slideshow

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/crwtimberframe/Spangler%20Bussey%20barn/?albumview=slideshow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeHHbYWIHXY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yCiDw3_KmY&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpmV-ndYtt4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UucmZrk7EbY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdd9PiYqshc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0MYCKcN-g&feature=related

http://98.130.24.92/index.asp

ChrisB
    Participant

I know digging up an old thread here :rolleyes: But I have always love Timber Framed/Log homes. And when I do buy a piece of property I would love to have this kind of home on it. Can you all recommend any books I should have? I have been doing research on everything so when the time comes I can jump. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.