timber preservation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    jac
    Participant

I spent today fitting the new pole to my mower. The pole came from Pioneer and is bare. I have varnished poles in the past but dont like the way it can let water underneath.. would linseed oil be ok, I like to see the grain in the timber. The pole on my plow is done with matt white as sent from the company…any thoughts..
    John

john plowden
    Participant

I use a 50-50 mix of linseed and turpentine – apply several coats –
    John

dominiquer60

I like linseed oil for thing that come into contact with skin. My plow handles and all of my hand tools are finished using regular thin coats of Danish Oil (fancy linseed oil). Varnished hand tools tend to facilitate blisters, but linseed products get that nice to the touch finish after they are broke in. I would imagine it would be similar with a wooden pole, and the animals don’t touch it as much anyway. Just my two cents on linseed

Erika

Marshall
    Participant

I take linseed oil, warm it up a little then mix in some mineral spirits. I mix them approx. 50/50. After I put on a couple coats I put it out in the sun to dry. By warming the linseed oil it seems to soak in a little bit better.

goodcompanion
    Participant

@john plowden 24689 wrote:

I use a 50-50 mix of linseed and turpentine – apply several coats –
    John

I agree this is a really nice-smelling and looking preservative used in wooden boats. When it wears thin, just reapply. Gotta use real gum turpentine though, the cheaper stuff is just not its equal.

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

I use this on my yokes. I normally apply several coats over a few days time, until it starts to resist soaking in. Then I often give another coat once a year or so. I am not sure how it will weather on something kept outside. Probably at least as good as paint.

near horse
    Participant

Why do you all cut the linseed oil with turpentine? I’ve always just used it straight – and we are talking about boiled linseed oil, right? I’ve used it on my neck yokes and doubletrees and it does good.

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Geoff, yes, boiled linseed oil. My sense it is cut with turpentine or mineral spirits to thin it out so it soaks into the wood. The linseed oil is carried into the grain and the turpentine evaporates leaving the oil. Seems like heating the oil would help. My experience is boiled linseed oil alone is so viscous that it sits on the surface and penetrates really slowly.

jac
    Participant

Thanks for the replies people.. linseed oil and turpentine it is. I hate covering up a nice grain with paint…
    John

LStone
    Participant

I don’t cut linseed oil either. Just paint it on and rub it out tomorrow and repeat. Maybe not as efficient? Seems to do a good job, and I like the results.

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

John, I have also used the 50/50 mix on some painted yokes that I have. I think your painted pole might even hold up better.

jac
    Participant

Thanks Tim.. I take it that its not gloss paint you use on the yokes… I looked at the new pole for the plow and had wondered if it would be of any benefit…
    John

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

I used the old style milk paint on my yokes. It seemed to soak up the linseed oil really well and actually improved the appearance of the yoke. If you used a hard or glossy paint it probably would not work as well.

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

I suspect most of you know this but be careful to dry the rags you use for rubbing in your linseed oil and solvents, they can spontaneously combust if left in a pile. Hang them up to dry in good ventilation.

Jason

OldKat
    Participant

@Biological Woodsman 24809 wrote:

I suspect most of you know this but be careful to dry the rags you use for rubbing in your linseed oil and solvents, they can spontaneously combust if left in a pile. Hang them up to dry in good ventilation.

Jason

I heard this all my life and thought it was a bunch of crap. It isn’t. One time I was using some rags to wipe up excess 50-50 linseed oil & turpentine I had put on some window sashes & dumped the oily rags into a metal trash can along with some other refuse and put them out to the street for collection. That afternoon I thought I saw smoke coming from the trash can, so I opened it thinking a workman that I had working for me had dropped a lit cigarette in there. When I pulled the lid off the whole thing flashed right in my face. Turns out it was the oily rags. Jason is right; this is certainly a consdideration that shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.