Tips for registering for website

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jen judkins
    Participant

As many of you know, we are redesigning the website and we expect the new design will be better able to screen out spammers. In the meantime, we manually screen applicants and we get a lot of spam applicants. They are deleted, but I always worry that I might be deleting a person who really wants to join. One of the big “red flags” for someone being a spammer is having a registered name that is just a bunch of random letters and numbers. If you want to get through, make up a name that spells out something a human would come up with. For example, a username of “CFFTVV677” will probably get deleted, where a username of “JimSmith” will probably not. If you really want to be a shoe-in, make your username correspond with your email to some degree. For example “JimSmith” with an email of “SmithJ687@hotmail.com” will get through everytime. I hope this helps.

We do have human spammers, too, I can watch them checking out forums and thier profiles after I ban them for spamming. It is amazing that this is how someone wants to spend thier time, but until the website redesign, we are going to have to deal with them manually.

jen judkins
    Participant

Thanks, Andy for helping out with this. J

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.