training "Lee"

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Mules training "Lee"

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I will make a link to a little video we shot of training a 12 month old mule. (Here is the link) Just a couple disclaimers. It is raw video and so it is not perfectly edited to make me look supper smart or efficient. It is a little slow action as I will not ask much of a young animal. Just few minutes of interaction, that is different than what she is used to.

For anyone finding the video interesting a couple things I would suggest looking for: First, the mule and I are calm and relaxed through out. Second I only say “whoa” a couple times in this video. It is usually when she has stopped all ready. After she has been moving for awhile it will be much easier to teach her to stop on command. Or as Carl Russell suggests; as a reward. For now I am happy if she starts to associate the word with the act. Finally, since I don’t want to forcefully restrain her I need a plan when she starts to step out. When ever she starts to go faster than I want, I simple use one hand to turn her around me. This is the fundamental part of this training. I the next week or two I will drive her again in this set up and see what she does. I will also work with her in a rope halter one of these days and video that.

dominiquer60

This is a great lesson to watch and a very handsome Molly to boot 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.