trimming the young mule

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Mules trimming the young mule

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Yesterday I trimmed the feet of my nine month old mule Lee. I wish I had some pictures, but I don’t. I trimmed her lightly with a rasp at about three months just to shorten the toes a little, but she didn’t fight that too much. I tied her up next to her mother and she was light enough so I could push her around a little. Now she is in the middle of weaning, and in a box stall part of each day. She is easily 14.2 and 700 or 800 pounds. I tied her up (something she is completely used to by now).

She put up a pretty good fight. I needed to do a pretty thorough job; knife, nippers, and rasp. I just worked slowly, not trying to hold any one foot too long, and keep picking up a different foot. Good pauses to let her relax. She is big enough that it is hard to really push her around, but I do use enough force to let her know that although gentle, I also plan to finish what I start. In the end she had a nice looking set of feet, and I think we reached a little understanding.

I used the rasp on a two month old mule the other day; just knocking the toes back to keep him level.

j.l.holt
    Participant

Go through the motions of filing every month and in no time he will think nothing of it.

dominiquer60

That very snowy winter a couple years ago, my steers were young calves and while in the barn I picked every foot up every day and rasped once a month just because. They are better steers for it. There must have been something in the air because I trimmed mine last night too 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.