Tutorials

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

On some of the growing forums I’m a member of, they have what they call ‘tutorials’, which are a description (often supplemented w/ photos), of a basic “how-to” type of thing. I think that it’d be really helpful to us greenhorns if those w/ the knowledge and desire to share would piece together simple ‘instructions’ demonstrating whatever subject they feel knowledgable in, and post it as a sticky in the appropriate place. Then it could lead to questions and various answers/input from others. There’s really great discussions on the merits of various ways of doing something, but sometimes (at least for me – maybe other inexperienced people as well?) I can’t follow along too well, as I don’t know what the different techniques (or whatever) entail.
    This is just an idea I’ve had for a while; Geoff and I kicked it around when I was up visiting him this past summer, and we both seemed to think it’d be helpful – I’m just now getting around to bringing it up, here.
    Does this seem like something anyone would want to do?

near horse
    Participant

Hey Robert,

I assume these would be videos or just steep by step directions w/ photos. Is that right?

Carl Russell

Robert, I see thread after thread of these “tutorials” on DAP.com. To me that is the value of this site. It may be that you are looking for someone to sort those out from the others and post them where they can be found more easily.

I would also say that it seems like the questions have to come before some of the answering can happen. Many folks who post on here have pics, videos, and are able to convey their knowledge well in written form. When topics need clarifying, you, and others, should feel free to step up and ask for more clarification.

I know from personal experience that when I try to share something I know, I rarely have all the answers, and usually post it here with the expectation that others will question and challenge me. As I respond I can improve my presentation, but there are many times when other points of view broaden and improve the value of the thread, so that the end result is more than one person could have developed. This “organic” growth of a topic is so subtle that a sleeper topic can all of a sudden become a “tutorial”, but often the details are hidden in the exchanges……..it can require a lot of work to find the information you are looking for…..

It is difficult for volunteer Administrators to take the time to sort out the technically accurate “tutorial” threads from the everyday ones, but If this site can be a source for that kind of assistance, then maybe it is time for the membership to think of ways to financially support Administrators taking the extra time…….. just saying.

Because I too see how useful your suggestion could be, but to get this site to where it could be will take a lot of time and consistent effort, and should not be expected from volunteers.

Carl

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Geoff: Yeah, that’s the idea. Photos download easier for slower systems, and also allow someone to study details (for instance, I don’t even know if you can ‘freeze-frame’ a youtube video).

Carl: I apologize for not being clearer…I never thought to lay it on the shoulders of the volunteers that already do so much; I meant it as open for all. A step-by-step “how-to” guide on whatever someone feels qualified to share, with the input of others as you said. Basically taking the things already done, only a bit more organized, with the photos added in, and put as a sticky at the top of the list of postings for that appropriate heading {sustainable farming, equipment, etc.}. It would make it easier for people new to the site to find instruction on a particular topic, as opposed to the delightful “fireside discussions”, which are really great in themselves.
    A random example of possible topics:
    *Braiding hay twine into rope
    *Building a proper compost pile
    *How to harness & ‘hitch to’ a single (or team) horse
    *Adjusting the D-ring (or western, etc.) harness to the horse
    *How to adjust and use such-and-such piece of equipment
    *Proper cuts to make to safely drop a tree
    *Hooking to a log
    *Using the Barden (or whatever model) cart
    *Field repair of a broken…

If its a sticky, then it’s readily available as a reference, and of course, with others’ input and comments, it’s “peer-reviewed” for accuracy. I thought of this, from two fronts: 1) There’s not a mentor handy for all of us – and those new and inexperienced really need a reliable source of answers to “how do I…?” and 2) As Carl and others have mentioned some of THEIR mentors passing on, it led me to realize that many of us have (what we might think of as) small skills, that others just don’t have…and need – which should be preserved.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.