Twins! The start of a new herd and I need advice.

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Homestead Twins! The start of a new herd and I need advice.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    LongViewFarm
    Participant

My friend has been interested in beef cattle for quite a while and her daughter has shown them in 4H for two years. They’ve been wanting to start a herd, and we’ve spent a year thinking on it and looking for the right critters at the right price. I’ve raised pigs before and thought I’d give raising beef a try, as the next logical step.
    Over the winter Michelle found and purchased 2 heifers, one bred two year old and her calf from last year. I’ve clear out about and fenced about 4 acres of pasture, and we’re ready for the cows to come in April.
    Yesterday I got the call from Michelle to say the cow is in labor, and another call later. It went something like this:
    Michelle- “Hey, I’ve got news.”
    Me- “We have a calf?”
    Michelle- “No.” Pause “We have two.”
    They were calved indoors, and are staying in with mom, so I’m less worried about her abandoning one. I’m glad it’s not on my farm, as I haven’t the time/experience to handle it well.

So four heifers will be headed to Longview Farm on April 27th to start our herd. I here that twining isn’t all that uncommon in cows, and that it’s good both calves are heifers, or they might be sterile. I’m not sure I’ll breed them anyway. I want to breed the mother again. If she continues twinning I’m not sure what to do, but I’m happy to start.

Can anyone offer advice/ stories/ problems you solved about raising beef? With so few I’m planning to split the pasture into two or three pieces and rotate them. They’ll have barn, and grain enough to keep them tame. The nine year old will be showing one in 4H, so I think they’ll be worked with a bunch. I’ve not set out any money myself yet, but think I will when it comes to care and feeding. Any suggestions for keeping cost down?
    Thanks

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.