Twitching wood

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Cunningham
    Participant

Today, I used the steers to twitch some tree limbs on the farm. I have been limbing up some of the firs and redwoods that dot our property so that I can mow closer to the trees, otherwise I end up with a lot of thistles under them. The boys did really well. Maybe the stars were aligned properly or something, but today the work seemed to hit a real good rhythm. They really seemed to like pulling logs, maybe my boys are destined to be a logging team. It might not seem like much to you professional loggers out there but I am proud of the little pile of wood two hours of work made.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Kevin, As a farmer I am constantly telling folks their is a whole other side to moving wood besides logging. The simple log (not too big – not too small) evener ,or yoke, and a chain. Nothing (and I mean nothing) better for a young team, or teamster. It so green there, you must live in the southern hemisphere! My wife just returned from her annual vacation in Wa State. Says we should still retire in Wa! keep up the good work. They look great. Donn

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Looks great. I think they are proud of themselves as well.

carl ny
    Participant

Looks like you,and them,did good. They’re quite a young team,aren’t they? Just the right size logs for them.

carl ny

Kevin Cunningham
    Participant

Yea we usually get this fools spring this time of year, greens the grass nicely then it gets cold and rainy once again. But we do live in California the land of happy cows. I can graze year round, except the summer when it gets too dry. They are about 1 1/2 years old and still growing, but I am amazed at what I can do with them already.

Baystatetom
    Participant

Nice job. I love pulling wood because of all the variables, its never the same. Some pieces are bigger, heavier in a tricky spot so you have to go left before you can go right. Its always interesting.
    I did notice last year that my steers learned to cut the load all on their own, a quick side step helps them gain momentum. This was great in the woods but not so much when trying to keep my furrows tight and straight with the plow in the spring time.
    Keep up the good work.
    ~Tom

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.