unhooking log chain from slot bar

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment unhooking log chain from slot bar

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    scott stevens
    Participant

I know Jason Rutledge will have the answer to this one, but anyone can chime in. What is the trick to unhooking a log chain from a fixed slot bar with no quick release feature. It is probably simpler than I am thinking, like just be careful not to hook to tight in the first place. Maybe I am a little suspicious, but I can see where it might be a struggle getting unhooked sometimes. I understand the concept on the Les Barden cart where he uses a slip hook and a grab together so you can just flip the loose end of the chain up out of the grab. How does it work with just the fixed slot bar?

Signed a primitive ground-skidder from Maine. PS the snow went down a foot the last day or so!

Carl Russell

The problem you describe is why the other hitch styles have been developed. The only way that I found to unhitch a log hanging on a hitch slot was with a peavey. By levering under the butt of the log, or by putting the hook in a link and prying up to release tension. Both of these require some power though as you need both hands.

I modified my old slot type log cart by welding a 3″ pipe onto the frame behind the slot bar. With the top of the pipe level with the bottom of the slots, and back 2-4″, the choker goes straight from the slot then hangs over the pipe down to the log. This way all the way of the log can hang on the chain, and the chain can be flipped out of the slot similarly to the Barden design. If a log is really heavy then the chain can be pried out of the slot with the point on the peavey. Good luck Carl

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

Scott,
    Sounds like Carl has it worked out for starters. I have used arches with the slotted steel welded to a pipe that will roll back and if I built a new arch would make sure it had that feature. My walking beam arch has a slanted rod on which the keepers roll up when we go ahead thus lifting the load up. It has a lift of about 28″ so even a big butt gets off the ground. When we come to a stop it rolls back down thus making the release of the chocker easy.
    Jim Ostergard, Appleton, Maine

Anonymous
    Inactive

@scott stevens 1093 wrote:

I know Jason Rutledge will have the answer to this one, but anyone can chime in. What is the trick to unhooking a log chain from a fixed slot bar with no quick release feature. It is probably simpler than I am thinking, like just be careful not to hook to tight in the first place. Maybe I am a little suspicious, but I can see where it might be a struggle getting unhooked sometimes. I understand the concept on the Les Barden cart where he uses a slip hook and a grab together so you can just flip the loose end of the chain up out of the grab. How does it work with just the fixed slot bar?

Signed a primitive ground-skidder from Maine. PS the snow went down a foot the last day or so!

You’re asking about unhooking without a quick release feature, but the best method is to make sure you DO have one. Seems like the biggest advantage of a log cart is to get the front end of the log(s) off the ground, so you don’t want to have to “not hook too tight” or you’re be losing the advantage of the piece of equipment.

I used a cart that had a rolling bar as described by Jim. It has a rod that points perpendicular from the slot bar toward the tongue(front). That rod is sheathed in an upside-down “U”. The “U” covers the rod, locking the slot bar in place vertically for skidding. When you want to release the log, you flip a lever that turns the “U” rightside up, allowing the rod to flip up, the weight of the log to roll the slotted bar back, releasing the pressure and dropping the log to the ground. There are other variations out there.

I was always intrigued by the concept of the walking beam type, but didn’t have the guts, knowhow, or patience to make one (and then have to tinker with it). And I liked the high clearance I had with my cart, allowing to pass over stumps, and even right over a second log with a first one already on. Seems like the multi-slot bar gives you more versatility, even if you get a little less lift on the log.

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

Well I’ve used both types of arches. My feeling is they both have good and not so good points. I will try and post a picture of mine. The only one I have shows me and Rusty just after I “rescued,” him and brought him home. Much better picture of the arch. Ignore the fella on it.
    My rig will ride up on a second log so that part is good. I am limited to how many big logs I can get on but a lot of my wood is small so I can put 3 or 4 40′ small spruce or hardwood on it which works well if its a long haul to the landing. It sure is nice on the knees though.
    Jim

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

Well I’ve used both types of arches. My feeling is they both have good and not so good points. I will try and post a picture of mine. The only one I have shows me and Rusty just after I “rescued,” him and brought him home. Much better picture of the arch. Ignore the fella on it.
    My rig will ride up on a second log so that part is good. I am limited to how many big logs I can get on but a lot of my wood is small so I can put 3 or 4 40′ small spruce or hardwood on it which works well if its a long haul to the landing. It sure is nice on the knees though.
    Jim

PS: Hard to turn the walking beam as the tires drag around. I posted the jp under equipment
    Sorry I didn’t figure out how to edit so this is a bit of a double post

scott stevens
    Participant

I look forward to seeing the picture of your arch, Jim. I have just come to this sight this month, and I appreciate how willing people are to help out. I have gained quite a bit of information I didn’t have already. I always tell people, you can’t go buy one of these at WalMart!

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Hey Scott and other woodsmen,

Well I probably have several answers as you suspected. First I want to describe why we use this simple log arch. First, it is durable, it doesn’t have any moving parts that are sure to wear out, especially with really stout horses and big logs and that is the combination I think it takes to make a living at this work. The quick release slot bars wear out. The rigid ones also, but mush slower. I would say I have skidded a million board feet on ours without replacing the slot bar. The slot does eventually wear out and the slot becomes to open to keep a 5/16’s choker chain in place. That just keeps it simple and durable.

Since the two main reasons for having an arch are to provide front end suspension of the log and provide a safe place for the operator to ride then the device we use serves well. It is not necessary to lift the front end of the log much to lessen the effort required to skid it and lessen the impact on the forest soil. So the simple arch will do that. It only lifts about four inches or so on a single choker chain hitched straight up to the slot. Hooking the chain is important. We hook straight up to the slot when the smooth face of the log is on the bottom and simply slip the chain in the slot as tight as you can, but still be able to remove it when at the landing assuming that both places are relatively level. I am famous for hooking to tight so I know a few tricks about getting the chain out at the landing. In defense of my penchant to hook to tight I know that making the load easier on my horses and the ground will get more wood out in a day and keep the top soil on the top, which will get me more jobs.

Now when I do get the chain to tight, usually because the log is somewhat elevated by the ground conditions or angle of the end I am hitching to I use a few methods at the landing. The first is a magic device called a piece of firewood about 4 inches in diameter that I simply pull the log up on and back up and take the chain out of the slot. That is an easy accessory for most of us to come by. When it is hooked properly, (straight up with the log on a flat spot) just backing up lets the log down and the chain comes out. We sometimes will use a peavy to pop the chain out of the slot if it is to far to walk and pick up the piece of firewood, mentioned earlier.

Another point about the simple device and slot bar is that we often use multiple hitches on big logs, out of hard spots. This means we simply put a chain over the tongue of the arch that is hitched to the log and run it back to the center slot and up to the front team which is usually on an arch and put the power to it. I submit that if you put that kind of power on a quick release slot bar regularly you will tear it up.

The reason we can use the center slot to connect the chain to the front lead team is because on all big logs we use the “cradle hitch” that consist of two choker chains. This arrangement uses the two outside slots therefore leaving the center one open. This provides much greater lift on larger logs. And folks, larger logs are worth more money. I actually learned this hitch method from a old Vermont horse logger many decades ago….

Now, Scott and other DAP people, the reason I haven’t been on here for a while is because I have been working on a huge event we are planning in Virginia in September. It is currently, tentatively scheduled for 18-21 of September 2008. We are calling it the:

Restorative Forestry Summit and Biological Woodsmen’s Week at Mountain Lake Conservancy.

We are yet to have all the details worked out, including approval by all the various boards and such, but we hope it will be the premier modern horse logging event in the world.

Please stay tuned for details on this event. You may go to the Mountain Lake Conservancy.com web site and read more about this location and see that they have it on their schedule although it is not set in stone….yet. It is at the Mountain Lake Hotel that was the site of the filming of the movie “Dirty Dancing”. Everyone is welcome, book a room now….I am quite confident it will happen. I am hoping to invite our friends from the north including your DAP host and family. Carl, please take that as an invite as a participant or in whatever capacity you wish.

So I hope this has some answers to the slot bar issue and remember plans for this device are free on our web site. Please let me know if you have any other questions or thoughts about log arches or restorative forestry.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and keep up the good work.

Warm Salute,

john plowden
    Participant

Scott – When I started using an arch I had just a couple of slots and used the peavey method on the landing – It got old pretty fast – since then I’ve gone to a rolling bar with several chain slots and a quick release latch – No matter how heavy the load it ‘ll drop – I have one of my prototypes here that I’d be willing to sell -loan or trade –
    John

scott stevens
    Participant

John, I will probably give you a call on that. I have been getting ready to put one together but would be interested in tapping your experience and maybe even come down and check out what you have. We talked earlier this winter about a horse I had, and I still have your number.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.