Update on Teaming Up Mature Oxen

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Oxen Update on Teaming Up Mature Oxen

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rob FLory
    Participant

Hi,
    Jake and Chris are doing well together. An additional challenge manifested since I last wrote, which is that I concluded that my yoke doesn’t fit Chris, the new member of the team. We have been using a smaller bow and that has improved matters. Chris doesn’t seem totally comfortable, but as all manner of adjustment of the bow has not improved matters, I’m not sure that it is physical, and might be psychological.

After walking about 1000 feet of furrow, we plowed a couple rounds with the team, and concluded that Chris needed some strength training before we tried any heavy amount of plowing. Mostly we have been working on the manure spreader as the ground we have plowed is not dry enough for harrowing, which would be an even better exercise.

Wayne Randolph of Colonial Williamsburg was visiting over the weekend and he said it is fairly routine for them to match up oxen from different teams.

Getting the oxen into their stalls on the new sides has required the most work. They are getting it.

Chris has been a tough nut to crack on teaching sidestepping. The last time I worked with him I decided to try reverse stick cues, as he always leaned or stepped into a push or tap with a stick, instead of stepping away. No matter which side I tapped him on the rear end, he stepped out, so he was getting it half right. 🙂

Rob Flory

Anonymous
    Inactive
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.