vision….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    longshot38
    Participant

leatherneckPA’s thread and discription of his plans for his farm inspired me to ask what is your vision for your place weither you are on your land or not. what do you see when you think about what you want to do with “the farm”

i’ll start, i dont have my land, yet. so what i see is about 10 acres divided up like this, 1/4 acre for the house 1/4 acre for garden, 1/2 acre for barn, workshops, hen house, barnyard etc. so thats one acre use another for home (rotation) pasture for my draught animals, and the other 8 for hay production; taking enough for my own use and the surplus for sale. i was planning on getting maybe 2 lambs in the spring and maybe a calf and placing them on community pasture, something we have here in Newfoundland you can put your animal on pasture for the season for a nominal fee to cover the fencing etc for the operation, and taking the animal off pasture in the fall for slaughter and sale of the surplus animal or part of animal (ie: half of the cow and the second sheep) i was planning on having a few hens for eggs for personal use and several meat birds for the freezer, the later can be obtained from the local hatchery byway of under weight birds that are considered unsaleable to the local market for birds that the hatchery provides. these birds would have to be disposed of at cost to the hatchery so if you want them you can carry them off for your own use, a couple weeks on feed and you have a good size bird for the freezer. in addition to this i would like several acres next to or very near to my farm to use as a campground catering to the general public sort of a agritourism operation where people could tour my place and have hay rides etc.

but i digress, what is your vision.

thanks
    dean

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.