Wanted: Beginner's Team

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Market Place Buy/Sell Livestock Wanted: Beginner's Team

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anton Shannon
    Participant

Hey folks,

Looks like there’s more wanted ads than for sale ads right now. We’re looking for a beginner’s team, the first for our farm. We run a vegetable CSA in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania and would use the team for disking, cultivating, general farm work, plowing, and maybe, eventually, cutting some hay. Our main focus will be on bio-extensive vegetable production, using our team as much as possible. If any one has, comes across, or hears of, a quiet, experienced (8-12 year old) draft team, less than 17 hands, please send us along the information. Thanks so much everyone.

Anton & Lisa
    Good Work Farm
    goodworkfarm.com
    goodworkfarm@riseup.net

Ryan
    Participant

Hey Anton, I was looking for the same team about a year ago and found a widow who had had 3 belgians that weren’t being worked. I stopped in and asked if she needed someone to put them to work for her and I’ve had them at my farm and been driving them every since. Just a thought if you see some standing around you might stop in and talk to the owner. A lot of times people would love for you put them to work.

You might also watch the Amish auctions real closely. I’ve noticed that they rarely advertise the teams but if you go to the auction they almost always sell a team or two. These are usually older teams that are broke broke broke! They’ll stand all day if you want them to.

I’ll keep my eye open for you. Hope this helps a little. 🙂

Anton Shannon
    Participant

Ryan,

Thanks for the tips. Glad to hear you we’re able to find the right horses for you. Gives us hope that our right team is out there. We’re planning on checking out a few auctions this winter, but we’re nervous about getting a team, at least our first, at an auction. We’ll find a good team one way or another.

Anton & Lisa

dominiquer60

Farmer Brown has a team of big Percherons for sale, I have no idea if they are for beginners or not. I use some tall Percherons for market garden work, they are much bigger than I need, but on with 36″ beds, they are not too bad. If they are base narrow or have feet smaller than a pie pan they could work. http://www.draftsforsale.com/ShowAd/index.php?id=52b3b5a4d47a0&fb_action_ids=10202706778895776&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

Anton Shannon
    Participant

Thanks for lead, we’ll give them a call, and go from there.

Anton

Carl Russell

FYI

Subject: [beginningwomenfarmers] Percheron Draft Team for Sale [1 Attachment]
    Date: December 22, 2013 10:05:38 PM EST
    To: beginningwomenfarmers@yahoogroups.com

[Attachment(s) from Racey Bingham included below]

Hi folks,

Looking for a draft team? Killian and Moose are a steady, reliable and willing team. We bought them a year ago to train and then sell.

Details of their training and photos can be found on our website: http://www.reberrockfarm.com/draft-horse-training–sales.html

Email with questions and please spread the word!

Racey

Racey Bingham
    Farmer & International Agriculture and Rural Development Consultant
    Reber Rock Farm – http://www.reberrockfarm.com
    518 572 7377

Carl Russell
    Anton Shannon
    Participant

Thank you Carl.

-Anton

jen judkins
    Participant

See my post above. Might be a good match for you. Jennifer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.