Wanted: Mc D #9 mower parts

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Market Place Buy/Sell Equipment Wanted: Mc D #9 mower parts

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andre
    Participant

I am in need of a 6 Ft. bar for a #9, also would like to know what guards people are using to replace the old ones.
    Andre’ 802-324-1190

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Andre,

When I ordered guards from Macknair last year, the only ones he said he could get were the double “combine” guards, part # FO 218 DH. They are made in Germany. They have no ledger plates & are quite narrow. I have used the mower a little & they seem to work fine except that the throats are very tight. LRM in his book recommends 3/8″ between the knife & the top piece of the guards (lifted from old manufcturers’ copy). On these guards the distance is 1/8 or less in places. I have had some clogging trouble & am wondering if these are designed to be that tight, or whether it is possible (without breaking) and advisable to increase that distance.

Jay B. has spoken W a friend of his in So.VT who is running this type of guard exclusively (if I remember right). He feels that they are less likely to get bent up (changing the knife clearance at the inner & outer shoe ledger plates) from the constant bumping the endure in use. (Is the fellow I am talking aboiut out there??? Do I have it right??)

Anyone else used these?

(Have a few parens why don’t you.)

Mark

ngcmcn
    Participant

Hey you guys I was in a NH tractor dealership yesterday and they still sell the replacement for the old 989 guard, standard on #9 and #7, which is a MC2041. I believe those numbers are correct. They’re about 4-5bucks a piece. The last set I bought came from MacNairs. made in korea. I’ve had no problems with them on my 9 and they cut well. Put new bolts on them from the tractor dealership as well.

Never tried the haybine guards but i’m thinking of it, you can also, if you can find them replace the guard plates on the 989 guards. Its a bit of a chore but those old guards work well going through the grass.

What i’ve been having trouble with is a 9 i picked up in Vt. Was rubber tired, one blew so i switched to iron wheels, then it broke a knife head, twice, and the backer bar of the knife after mowing about four acres of heavy clover. I had two more hundred foot passes to make. I have several mowers so i went and got a high gear 9 that was given to me and runs sweeter then any mower i’ve ever owned dull knives and guards to boot, that finished it. Never had so many problems as with that Vt. mower. I’ll tinker it up.

Good luck

Neal McNaughten
    Unity, me.

Andre
    Participant

I switched to the haybine style guards. Mowed last night in some thick clover with no problem. I wish I had spent the money years ago.

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Andre,

How much clearance do you have bewteen the top of the knife sections & the top piece of the guard?

Thanks, Mark

Andre
    Participant

Mark, There is only about an 1/8″. I mowed again last night just cleaning up around the field, much of the grass was knocked down and lodged. We had no clogs, I use stub knife guards on the inside 3. I am using a 5 year old that has never been on any equipment before, forward motion has not been a problem!! He has actually come along very well. I assume that you got that shoe and it worked out for you.

ngcmcn
    Participant

Andre’

Did you nget your haybine guards from macnairs and if so what brand/type/make etc. were they. Also what are you using for stub guards. Did you go with those new adjustable knife keepers(clips?) or did the old ones work?
    I’ve got a High Gear 9 that i need guards for, and finish going through. The High Gear mowers have always gone right through lodged, matted, August first cut hay for me.

Thanks
    Neal McNaughten
    Unity, Me.

Andre
    Participant

Neal,
    The guards I bought from my local New Holland dealer Part# 219190. The original keepers work fine. The stub guards look like a upside down knives mounted like a guard, there is no protection for the knives. The haybine style guards are quite narrow so the register needs to be right on. I will try to post a picture if and when I find where my camera ran off to.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.