Water wheels

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Robernson
    Participant

Call me crazy,but I love ’em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMFIypD-MA8

~~R

They are making quite a comeback over here (renewable energy)

bivol
    Participant

nope, you’re not crazy, i love them too!

it’s good to use every ounce of free energy we can. my great-grandpa had two grain watermills, one 500 years old!

there is something profound about them, people like them, maybe because they are a silent remainder that we can get a lot if we use in a good way what nature offers us, be it solar, wind or water energy. i’m all for wind and water power!:D

plus I wouldn’t mind if they’d hook up all the training bikes in the fitness centers to generate electricity 😀

Stable-Man
    Participant

There’s another method of using water power not quite as attractive. Water’s piped up from a creek/river and past a generator and back into the water. Guess it’s called a water generator…

blue80
    Participant

Call me crazy too then! I’ve for some reason always found them therapeutic, and fascinating.

We have an alternative energy person coming in the next week to look at our options for hydro power, and our hope has been to have a water wheel incorporated. So far they only do solar and wind, but want to learn how to use moving water also as an option.

Thanks for that link, bachlerfarmer, why didn’t I think of that nifty deal :oearlier???

jac
    Participant

Anouther crazy person here.. We visited a restored cotton mill here in Scotland and they have a wheel thats about 20 ft tall and it must be 15ft wide and when the sluice was opened that big old wheel gradualy moved but was soon up to speed. The turning power at the axle must have been very high and I could see how a generator could easily be coupled up… and all that power for just a little water because it seemed to be just a fraction of what water could be going over that was being used. It was an over shot wheel which I believe is more efficient .
    John

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.