Watery Eyes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Doug
    Participant

One of my calves eyes water not all the time and not alot but enough to be noticeable. Should I be concerned? He is a month old and is in good health otherwise.

Doug

Vicki
    Participant

I have one ten year old steer whose eyes water from fly irritation, much more than the others’. You can treat with antihistamines, talk to your vet. Watch for pus, for the calf avoiding bright light, or other signs of infection.

Doug
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up, his eyes have been okay lately only watering once in a great while.

Doug

Anonymous
    Inactive

Theres usually several reasons for the watery eyes.
    1. Injury of course–is the animal in high grass of brush?
    2. Pink-eye, vary prevelent during hot, humid weather, Vaccination is best prior to the problem, Piliguard Pinkeye Tri-view is one of the best on the market, then a patch over the eye. Shut-eye patches glued on work well, to keep the bright light out. Glue them on, and leave until they wear off, Also give an anti-biotic such as LA-200, or Penicillin.
    3. Red Nose–I know it sounds funny, but Bovine Rhinotracheitis (red nOse) causes runny eyes in all ages of cattle. A quick vaccination with a Red Nose vaccine(such as Bovi-Shield 5)and use an Internasal Vaccine also (TSV-2) will usually quickly clear it up.
    Hope that helps. I do have more info in our newsletter section on our website http://www.livestockconcepts.com on pinkeye.

OldKat
    Participant

@livestockconcepts 10141 wrote:

Theres usually several reasons for the watery eyes.
    1. Injury of course–is the animal in high grass of brush?
    2. Pink-eye, vary prevelent during hot, humid weather, Vaccination is best prior to the problem, Piliguard Pinkeye Tri-view is one of the best on the market, then a patch over the eye. Shut-eye patches glued on work well, to keep the bright light out. Glue them on, and leave until they wear off, Also give an anti-biotic such as LA-200, or Penicillin.
    3. Red Nose–I know it sounds funny, but Bovine Rhinotracheitis (red nOse) causes runny eyes in all ages of cattle. A quick vaccination with a Red Nose vaccine(such as Bovi-Shield 5)and use an Internasal Vaccine also (TSV-2) will usually quickly clear it up.
    Hope that helps. I do have more info in our newsletter section on our website http://www.livestockconcepts.com on pinkeye.

Is Red Nose the same thing as BVR (Bovine Viral Rhinotracheitis)?

Vicki
    Participant

Thanks for the info on Red Nose. I’m going to try to learn more about it, not assume it’s flies.

Bumpus
    Participant

Sometimes when an animal is only eating grass they lack enough Vitamin A
    which can contribute to watery eyes.

Vicki
    Participant

Thanks Bumpus, I’ll look into the vitamin A deficiency and watery eyes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.