We lost a cornerstone of our community

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    OldKat
    Participant

We lost a cornerstone of our community this week. He was not anyone that any of you would have known; because I am not talking about the Draft Animal Power community. I’m talking about the community where I live. Christopher Metcalf was not a banker, lawyer, or a businessman of any kind. He was not a beloved teacher or school administrator. He was not an athlete of any renown. He was the official, unofficial Ambassador of Goodwill to anyone that lived, worked or even visited our town. You only had to meet Chris one time and he was instantly your friend. I don’t think I ever remember seeing anything other than a smile on his face.

I first came to know Chris within a year or so of moving to Bellville, Texas in 1985. When we joined the Methodist Church there Chris was probably 14 or 15 years old and he and his family were very active members. We quickly came to know and love him as the kindest, sweetest soul that we had ever known. After a couple of years my wife switched from being a classroom teacher to teaching the special education program for about 3 years and though Chris was older than the children she worked with he was part of that program. Therefore we would see him anytime there was special education function that involved K-12 students. He particularly loved the Special Olympics and even if he finished a race two or three minutes after the next to the last competitor he would come off the track with his one good arm raised in triumph and a big beaming smile on his face, as if he had just set a world record.

For years afterward anytime we went somewhere in the community and saw Chris he ALWAYS had his perpetual smile on his face and when he saw us he would immediately give us a big wave. Chris was far from an articulate speaker, he could not speak clearly and I seldom could understand everything he did say. Regardless, his “everybody is my friend” outlook on life made him the center of attention wherever he went. If you went to the Austin County Fair, a Little League game, a Lions Club BBQ or any other social or athletic event and Chris was there you would hear people say; “Oh Hi, Chris. How are you doing today, Chris?” or something similar, as he made his way through the crowd. I think Chris loved everybody and everybody loved Chris.

Chris had Downs Syndrome and was plagued by a number of ailments, including respiratory problems his entire life. He developed a severe cold recently, and though hospitalized for it he was unable to recover from it. In our nearly 32 years of marriage my wife has probably only called me during the day two or three times, and then only for emergencies. Thursday I was on my way to a doctor’s appointment when she called, and I could tell that she was quite upset. She told me that she had just gotten off the phone with one of her coworkers, who is Chris’s younger sister, and she had told her that Chris had passed away Wednesday afternoon about 4:00 PM. I just wanted to take this opportunity to acknowledge the passing of an exceptional young man. Christopher Metcalf had probably outlived his life expectancy and though he never gained fame or fortune, he touched the lives of many people in our community and he will be greatly missed. He was laid to rest today, he was 38 years old.

TaylorJohnson
    Participant

God Bless him and his family and may he rest in peace . Taylor Johnson

Carl Russell

Thank you for sharing that very touching story. Carl

Joshua Kingsley
    Participant

People Like him make the world a better place. May he rest in peace and his family remember the goodness of his spirt as well as any others he touched in his own way.
    God bless,

Joshua

jac
    Participant

OldKat your friend left so much more than any banker or lawyer and most ordinary folk could hope to leave in a life time. He was lucky to have good friends like yourselves around him. God Bless..
    John

Plowboy
    Participant

My god son who is my best friends little 3yr old boy is the same way. He too has Downs Syndrome and is very functional but behind in speech and was slow to walk but is coming along well now. He is a happy little boy and hopefully my son and him will grow up the best of friends. Sadly people with downs syndrome are plagued with health problems as little Michael has had several surgeries in his short 3 yrs. They are happy people and good genuine people well deserving a place in any community. Hopefully in his short life Chris brought smiles to many of your neighbors as well. Sorry to hear of such a good person going before his time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.