What to make a pole out of ?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Fabrication What to make a pole out of ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    frdzeller
    Participant

Hi, I am new here so please excuse my lack of horse sense. I am going to build a two wheeled forcart. Why can’t I make the pole out of one and one half or two inch galvanized pipe.? Wouldn’t it last longer? There must be a reason why most use wood. I just don’t know why.? Thank you for your advice in advance. Fred

carl ny
    Participant

You can, but a pipe bends,it doesn’t have what we call”memory”. If you bend pipe, it stay’s bent. If you bend wood it will spring back to original, to a certain extent.

Carl nny

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Fred-
    Metal is used but I do not like a metal pole at all. First, it gets cold and slippery in the winter. Second, a little flexibility in a pole can be a real safety measure if things get out of hand. Third, good poles are everywhere in the woods and easy to make and replace whenever you need a new one. Try a good piece of hornbeam – it will last you a very long time!
    -Brad

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Steel is a little more expensive than a wood. I would make the steel tongue strong though. square stock might be better than galvanized pipe. 2 x 2 with 3/16 wall thickness might be good. !/8 wall thickness might be alright with 2 1/2 x 2 1/2? Just thinking out loud. Do you use a D ring harness by any chance? All my tongues on new carts are not attached at all, just slide into a socket. This makes them very easy to change. I would not do this with any other harness type.

frdzeller
    Participant

Thanks to you guys. I have some idea what I should do now. If you want to know the facts. Ask the people who work with draft horses. thanks again. Fred

dominiquer60

We have poles of various types, wood, square stock and round pipe. I prefer the wood for the reasons above, and also because it is quieter than metal. When I am cultivating or another relaxing task, the last thing that I want do is drown out the sound of the Veery with a loud clanking metal pole. Sam has a few pieces that like Donn he can interchange a square stock pole between, and like Donn we use good snug D-Ring harness. Part of the success with these poles and harness relies on proper harness adjustment. There are a lot of good conversations here about that topic if you do a search for D-ring harness they will come up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.