When to castrate?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Oxen When to castrate?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JMorrow
    Participant

Hi there, Ox-teamsters —

We have pair of Milking Shorthorn calves who are now four months old and moving right along in their training. I have been planning to wait until they’re 6 months old to castrate them, but the vet is coming in the next few weeks to work on the horses, and it would be convenient for him to castrate the calves at the same time — and that would also get the job done before fly season arrives. What do you think? Better to wait until they’re six months old? If so, that’s what we’ll do.

Any advice much appreciated,

Jake

robie robinson
    Participant

I once banded/castrated at birth. Birth banding does retard terminal size(I’m a cattleman not a teamster, yet) We castrate/band at weaning to take more advantage of natural testosterone. Let the vet. do what is convenient for you. It will not be convenient for the calves.

Baystatetom
    Participant

I had always heard doing it before 6 months can cause bladder stones. Maybe just a old myth but I always wait anyway. My current team I let go over a year as I hoped they would build more muscle as bulls. I bet 4 months would be fine.
    Tom

JMorrow
    Participant

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the advice.

Jake

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.