When to use backpads

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Education When to use backpads

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    wvhorsedoc
    Participant

What purpose does the back pad/belly band assembly serve when not hitched in shafts?
    I have been hitching without this assembly with great results. I run the two back straps from the britchen spider to the hame rings as usual. Then I run straps from the large D rings on the britchen, forward to the lower hame rings where the breast straps also attach. I have also added line rings to the britchen spider to keep the lines up on the rump and off the ground (I use these even when hitched in shafts. When using a side check I attach it to a ring on the upper hame strap.
    This setup has worked well for me, when driving single or as a team. The only time I add the back pad assembly is when driving in shafts.
    Has anyone in the group tried this type hitch; I’m interested in your comments as most members that post to the web site seem to have much more experience than me.
    My biggest problem is driving slow enough for my 77 year old body to keep up. I know with heavier loads and when working steep inclines they have to move faster, so I tend to draw lighter loads than necessary just to make it easier on them and so I can keep up without abusing their mouths…I’m constantly looking for any idea that will help me to keep driving for a few more years. Doing great for now…
    Thanks for listening and for any comments you may offer.
    Doc Hensley in Union, WV

carl ny
    Participant

Way,way back when I was a kid,my dads harness never had a back pad.I also have an old harness that was cut down to fit ponies and it doesn’t have one either.Other than for a single or on a D-ring harness,I don’t think it is necessary.You need them for shafts and I think that it is easier to use them all the time ,rather than have to switch when you change from team to single with shafts.Years ago nobody used cruppers either. As for keeping up with your horses,you need a forecart so you can ride…JMHO

carl ny

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.