Which Mower would you choose? JD#2, MD big 5, or MD big 6

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Which Mower would you choose? JD#2, MD big 5, or MD big 6

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cherprit
    Participant

Hi there,
    I’ve found a gentleman who has these three mowers, and says they are all in serviceable condition. I haven’t seen them yet, its a few hours away, but just wanted some advice on which one you would choose and why. Thanks so much.

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Well it would have something to do with what you will be pulling it with. A full sized pair of draft horses or mules can mow about 5 acres a day with a five foot cutter bar, when they are in shape.

The McD number 7 & 9 are the classic around here, but the JD 4-5 are their counterparts. David Bradley made a great mower also.

Give us some more information.

Otherwise the one that looked turn key or hitch to – ready to go, maybe even see it mow would be my general choice. Especially if you have hay to mow with it now…

Good luck, hope you get one and use it plenty.

cherprit
    Participant

A gentleman here advised me not to get any of those because the gears are not enclosed like a MD#7 or #9. Do you agree? Haven’t seen the machines for sale yet, the gentleman said they’re in running condition.

I have two clydes, that don’t get enough work, I’m trying to rectify that. My mare has a GREAT work ethic, and is more of the old fashioned chunk type. The gelding just goes along with whatever she does. We have lots of empty fields around here that are just fires waiting to happen. Unfortunately Ag has mostly moved out of this area – I’m hoping to follow soon. In any case, there are lots of city folk that need these empty fields mowed down. All flat. I have a few people that I could drive to for lessons with the mower, so I wouldn’t be out there for a while.

cherprit
    Participant

Thought I’d explain my fire comment in the previous post. We couldn’t breathe here yesterday from the smoke blowing over from 3 fires. So dark it looked like the end of the world. Northern California

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.