winters toll

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mitchmaine
    Participant

Long winter. Wouldn’t you say? Looking around as the snow disappears seeing lodged fences and so on. Buildings are still standing.
    Found the hens playing rugby with a chicken leg??? They haven’t had a fence for a good while but bear, our collie keeps them put. We don’t have so many hens we can’t count but penny keeps track and we did a count when she got home and all were present. Except the missing white rock from a month ago. The mystery chicken. A missing white rock hen in a blizzard.
    Anyway, there she was, frozen in the snow out behind the henhouse, just showing a few feathers. Frozen in hard minus a leg. The metal roof must have let go and a foot of snow and ice came crashing down on her, and now she’s back to make the numbers make sense again.
    Long winter.

dominiquer60

indeed a long one Mitch. Although this is my first full winter in the Northeast since ’04-’05, it seemed to linger in some senses and fly in others. I am certainly tired of balancing on patches of slick ice, but Monday we are starting the greenhouse and I have to seed all of the Alliums next week, way too soon for that. When will it end and where did it go are the conflicting questions that I keep asking myself.

There is still too much snow to get some more good wood for sugaring, and I still don’t know how bad the calf pasture fence is under the bank that the town plow made. Bare driveway is just a couple warm days away and I look forward to having some ice free surfaces to work the boys on. On the other hand a few more stormy days inside would be nice to maybe start the taxes that I have been slowly collecting in one place.

The cattle are shedding and the 10th duct tape repair on my gloves are tired, it must be time for spring, soon maybe:)

Erika

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.