Witch Hazel

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Baystatetom
    Participant

Anybody out there ever harvest and sell witch hazel. I just bumped into a guy out in the woods with a quad and a little wagon full of witch hazel, said he sells it to some factory in Maine. But he was pretty quiet when I asked him if it was lucrative. (probably because he did not have permission to either ride the quad on that property or cut the witch hazel. Not that I cared about that, I am actually happy to see it being cut between the oaks I am marking for harvest. I was just curious if anybody had ever tried selling any and if the revenue was worth the work. Could be another small niche for draft power. I tried to google it but couldn’t find any info on any place that bought the raw plant.
    ~Tom

Ethan Tapper
    Participant

I don’t know if you get Northern Woodlands magazine, but there was an article in a recent one about a guy in Connecticut who makes a living cutting witch hazel. I can’t remember if he chipped it, or if they chipped it at the buyer’s place, but he sold it by the ton and must have been making some money, though he could have just been in a good place for it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.