Woodsmen, Horses, & Dynamite

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Books/Resouces Woodsmen, Horses, & Dynamite

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scott G
    Participant

I was poking around Lynn’s website and found this book for sale Woodsmen, Horses, & Dynamite by Hilton. Any of you New England folks read it and if so is it worth picking up? Looking for some stove-side winter reading material…

Carl Russell

I haven’t heard of it, but hell, with a title like that, how can you go wrong!!!

Carl

mitchmaine
    Participant

hey guys, this is one book you might not want to judge by its cover. it appeared under our christmas tree this year. its kinda interesting if you like lists. i liked the book and you may too. its the summary of logging on the north western maine in the late 1930’s. counts every apple and potato it took to cut 35,000 cord of rough (not peeled) pulpwood. i don’t want to give away the end. you might have to read between the lines but there is a good story in there.

mitch

LStone
    Participant

I haven’t heard of it either but agree with Carl. There is probably some beer in there too. Sounds like just the ticket. Seems like it is going to be a real long hard stove season this year. At least in this neck of the woods.

jac
    Participant

I seem to remember a book review in SFJ a few years ago about dynamiting horses !!!!!:eek: dont know if this is the same book tho…
    John

Andy McEvoy
    Participant

I would highly recommend this book. The amount of information that the author collected and analyzed is unparalleled by any other resource that I have seen on logging in Maine. At times the amount of numbers and charts is staggering, but taken as a whole it all tells a fascinating story. Also the book is worth it just for the very detailed sketches of equipment in the appendix – i.e. tractor and horse sleds, camp buildings, harness types. Check it out . . . at the very least you’ll be amazed at how much wood a three man team can move!

Scott G
    Participant

Thx Folks, think I’ll snag a copy. I’m all about lists, logistics, & the dirty details…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.