Working a drag load

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Member Diaries Working a drag load

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    LongViewFarm
    Participant

Just another example of a young team and young teamster learning together.

I had gone up to the plowing match at Billing’s Farm a couple weeks ago, and had a good time. I got to try a plow for the first time, and even though my first row was decidedly not straight, I got the hang of it. I was a little disappointed that the elder folks were actually not all that supportive (beyond the great loan of the plow), and some remarks were a little disparaging, so I didn’t compete.
    I came away with the desire to work my team some more on a drag load, so after some restoring of an old stone boat I took my team out with it yesterday. They did great as we took some laps around the field. It really helps to teach them to stand when they’re not being worked. A great lesson.
    Once we got the hang of it we went over to my neighbor’s farm and picked up a load of 1X pine that I had sawn with him from trees on my property. We dragged the boards to my house about 1/4 mile away, and called it a day. I’m excited to get home today and take them out again. Maybe on a wagon first, then back to the drag for a short time…

The weekend after Billing’s we had a very rainy start but very fun end to the day giving wagon rides at RN Johnson in Walpole, NH. The bolt holding my evener on broke, but fortunately we were about 20′ from some great welders and their equipment.
    More to come as this trio of 26,5, and 7 year olds progress.

jen judkins
    Participant

@LongViewFarm 18344 wrote:

I was a little disappointed that the elder folks were actually not all that supportive (beyond the great loan of the plow), and some remarks were a little disparaging, so I didn’t compete.

That’s too bad, Long View, as plowing is hard enough when you are learning. Its extremely helpful to have a supportive mentor to get you started and get you over the rough spots. I can’t tell you how many times I stopped on the first day and said to myself “what the $%* am I doing? I can’t do this!”…..only to have Ted remind me…”You ARE doing it, just not that well yet!” I would have given up, if left to my own devices and I certainly wouldn’t have even tried if I had been discouraged by those I admire.

So I hope you will try again….with the plowing, that is… and don’t get discouraged. I wish I were your age again :rolleyes:

mitchmaine
    Participant

jen’s right, longview, everyone of the “elder folks” had to plow once for the first time. ask them for a picture of their first time plowing. see what they say then. keep at it. mitch

LongViewFarm
    Participant

I am certainly looking forward to trying plowing again. Part of the problem was going to a competition for my first experience. I’m going to look for other events that might be more relaxed and a better learning opportunity. Thanks for the support.

Joshua Kingsley
    Participant

I know I am a ways off and I don’t have really any experience plowing but If you are game we could work somthing out over here. I have some ground that has been fallow for a long time that I am trying to work into a better crop. The current crop is mostly golden rod and some reed canary grass. I have a 12 inch walking plow that we could use. if you are interested I can get ahold of Ted Russell who really is great at plowing and see if he could lend a hand or if anyone with some experence would like to have a plowing bee I would love to host the get together. No worries about rocks as we are all sandy loam. Dad also has about 45 acres of corn ground to go as well so I may be able to have that land that was worked 2 years ago and was fallow last year to work if it is easier than breaking the sod.
    Joshua

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.