working at night

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    blue80
    Participant

Was wondering if anyone worked in the field in the dark, and if so, how they get it done safely. I would think that with LED lighting, it would be possible, and even enjoyable, especially when the moon is big.

Reason for asking, here in dry country much baling is done with the dew on, thus locals bale most alfalfa in the 3-10am hrs of the day. Many days are too dry and no baling gets done until the alfalfa can toughen up again. Also, it gets 100 degrees often in the daytime, and productivity in the field for both man and horse would go way down. We are thinking agritourism (tourist trap) is the best way for us to make some extra summer income whilst we hopefully overcome the learning curve, and by working in several of the wee hrs, the working animals would be freed up for wagon rides and show for the hot parts of the day.

Thanks, Kevin

jac
    Participant

Hi Kevin. I read somewhere that the oil lamps fitted to wagons and buggies years ago were fitted to let other people see you and not to let you see the road ahead. On a moon lit night you would be surprised by how much you and especially your team can see. Sounds like a real problem you guys have with the heat..
    John

solved that problem by putting a head lamp on my ox 😉
    he never even flinched……

Andy Carson

I have worked at night quite a bit. I used two battery powered lanterns aimed at the areas of interest. The one thing to watch out at the beginning is that on turns, my horse sometimes thought the “light creature” was racing towards her from the side and back. She got used to it fast though, and after a couple times out it was not big deal. By the way, the light is for you, the horse can see everything just fine on even the darkest nights.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.