Working Donkey teams

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Rod
    Participant

I wonder if any readers are using donkey teams or singles to do work on the farm or homestead. I have a pair of standard Donkeys that pull and am thinking about jobs that they can handle if spring ever get here.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve started driving a 2 1/2 year old jack and doing some very light skidding (very small poles). Will pack him this coming fall.
    Joe (Ak)

@Rod 1176 wrote:

I wonder if any readers are using donkey teams or singles to do work on the farm or homestead. I have a pair of standard Donkeys that pull and am thinking about jobs that they can handle if spring ever get here.

Mastro
    Participant

Get land. working with donkeys.

i’ve only graduated last december (mec eng.) but it a goal for me.

i’m interested in learning more on this subject on this forum…

PS : i’ll be at the All-day intensive this friday at howedale farm… (NAPFD)

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Rod ~ I’m new here… saw your posting >>> I’ve sent for a 4 yo standard jack from Texas, I market-garden & sell firewood (and work for a guy w/ his draft mules building trails in wildernesswes)… how’d your attempts to work your donkeys ever come out?

Rod
    Participant

I kind of dropped the project as my wife took the Donkeys over for riding and I acquired a team of ponies. I still think there is a place where Donkeys are just the right animal to use.

bivol
    Participant

considering a relatively low (sometimes free in US!) prices of good sized donkeys, they could be used for agriculture, too. a small farm would do on donkey power, given the soil isn’t too heavy, and the climate is right.

i found these donkeys harnessed to a plow in africa. they are pulling a double-furrow plow:
    the pics are in upper 1/5 of the page.

or, this vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHf69orG1I&feature=related

the donkey is used to cultivate a greenhouse (?), which lowers fuel costs, AND keeping a donkey gives one excellent greenhouse manure.

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

I just got back to this forum after being gone all summer…naturally headed back to this thread! I bought 2 jennys this summer; Kinsey (the mother) is 50″, 17 y.o., and done it all, literally = parades; living nativity scenes; worked from a single up to a 4-abreast on harrows, etc.; ridden in the mountains; guard for sheep (and now my goats); snigging 4′ lengths of firewood; pasture ornament for the last 9 years or so…her daught Jenny-Mae is 9, the previous owner’s daughters rode her & Kinsey, but she’s never been harnessed.
    So, one trained but “rusty”, and the other’s been handled a lot…plus just made a sweet deal on an 8″ walk-behind plow (yay! One small enough for the donks!) and a w-b cultivator…for 1 1/2 cord of lodgepole firewood in the round. Pretty decent shape, considering they were in open storage at the local antique dealer’s. {“Hey, dude – how about letting me put that lawn ornament to REAL work, as it was intended?”}
    So…anybody interested in ‘talking donkey’ w/ me? 😎

Robernson
    Participant

Anybody got some advice for Robert and Me?:D
    ~~R

bivol
    Participant

well, what’ya wanna do with them?

carting, plowing, etc: google donkey cart africa or donkey plow or plough africa to get some extra info…

some ideas:
    some say donkeys are less tractabkle than mules, and that they can’t be forces to work, you have to drag them etc.

i think the biggest issue would be to learn them to walk up front, without you dragging them by their collars, at least that’s a common mistake in my country…

learning lessons should be short, fun and not very repetative – donkeys are smart and don’t like too much repetition oxen sometimes need.

“donkey will drop dead working for an owner he likes” red it somewhere

praising is important – donkeys crave attention and like to know they’ve dome something good.

do get them broken to carting, they can be very useful.

Joshua Kingsley
    Participant

My first draft animal was a donkey. His name was Danny and he was bout 10 hh, I got him to drag my pony cart around and had him for several years. I gave him to a nice girl when I was headed to college. It took a while before he was a good cart donk, but he was very forgiving and was willing to do about anything for me. I wish now that I had done some things different and had taken more time to see just what I could have done with the little guy. His favorite speed was a walk but would go for many miles with a heavy load of kids in the cart.

I would say that if you had acess to some donks give them a fair shake, they are a great animal and would be very nice if handled with love and attention. They are also thrifty so feed is much cheeper than some other drafts.

Joshua

Robernson
    Participant

Yeah,
    My parents just bought me a standard jenny for Christmas. I wanted a donkey since I was 4 and 10 years later I got one.:D
    ~~R

Theloggerswife
    Participant

Now that is what I call a great Christmas Present!!! Please post pictures and keep us informed with your progress…..

Your Dad must have had a change of heart…..;)

Robernson
    Participant

I am tellin’ you! We thought that this would be a nice place to start and see what happens. She is about 6 years old and the most friendly animal they had. She is colored like your “traditional” mule.(dark body/white nose) I am going to get my neighbor the,mule-man/farrier/mentor/duck wrangler(long story) to trim her hooves as they are absolutely aweful! Anyhow I figured I would let y’all know.
    ~~R

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Hey, great for you, ‘R’!!

Bivol; some of what you point out is pretty accurate…dpending, of course, on the donkey! No, you can’t work a donkey to death…they’re too much self-preserving to be used in battle, either. Most animals – including humans – respond to kindness & praise with a major increase in effort to please.

Donkeys are especially attuned towards attitudes, it seems. I know my attitude when I first walk into the pasture sure seems to be “read” by my donks, from clean across the 26-acre pasture. If I’m in a hurry, or agitated about escaped goats, or… they just “give me space”. If I’m in a good mood or feeling silly or singing, then they’re apt to “sing” and come nosing around just to see what I’m about. My donks are pretty independant-minded, yet over the last several months, they’ve decided that they like me…and although they’ll still play ‘donkey games’ (do I wanna play ‘chase’?), if I come out with their halters & try to catch them, if I stand still & call them – or speak to one & not the other – they’ll come right up to me. I can now pick/clean Kinsey’s feet out with her standing loose…Jenny-Mae’s only good for lifting the front ones, unless she’s tied. I thought to work on this, getting the idea from Carl & Jason about teaching them to stand for harnessing w/out being tied. I haven’t gotten their harnesses paid for & sent to me yet, but I’m thinking that if they’ll stand loose for hoof-cleaning, then harnessing will be a breeze. Jenny-Mae doesn’t like the wheelbarrow yet, but is starting to reconsider; might have something to do with it being used for bringing Her Majesty her hay. :p So, I’m just doing basic things around them, and I’m pretty sure they’re learning about me: my moods & actions thereof (if he’s mad about something else, how will he act towards me?) and what I expect from them as to what the rules & acceptable behavior is. Kinsey has learned that I WILL NOT be intimidated or pushed around; Jenny-Mae recently learned that I am more stubborn than she is >>> I most definitely WILL ‘walk her down’ over 1 1/2 hours over the entire 26 acres, if she doesn’t come to me when I call to her. Just standing still was no longer acceptable…she had to actually come 5 steps to me, but we did enjoy that apple, once she did. 😀

Robernson
    Participant

It is the plan to go and get her Saturday or Sunday. That way I will be off from school for a little while and be able to observe her for a little bit. Anybody that knows about the weather here on the east coast is bound to know about the snow. So we will get her when we can.
    ~~R

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.