Working donkeys

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    grey
    Participant

When working with an equine that is having problems being bridled, it always helps to break it down into the smaller components. The three main ones I work on separately are:

– lower the head when asked

– accept handling of the entire head (including ears) while keeping the head at an acceptable height for the handler

– accept a bit with good grace, while keeping the head at an acceptable height for the handler

Only after all three of these skills are solid do I actually try to put a bitted bridle on a horse. The tools I use during this process are: feed bag, halter, double-ended snaps, mullen-mouth loose ring snaffle bit, and a closed bridle without a bit.

Lowering of the head and accepting handling of the entire head and ears are as much a submission/respect/trust issue as anything else. They absolutely must learn these, regardless of whether you even use a bridle at all.

grey
    Participant

If it is the folding of the ears that is offending your donk (which I wouldn’t blame her for – I’m told those ears are very sensitive), get/make yourself a snap-crown bridle. This is a bridle whose poll strap that has a snap on one end, eliminating the need to manhandle those beautiful ears. She should allow her ears to be handled, but I don’t think it would be unreasonable to take that little extra bit of care regarding her comfort.

OldKat
    Participant

@Robert MoonShadow 16028 wrote:

Putting the bit on the halter seems to work much better for getting her to take the bit…I’m pretty sure it’s the “over-the-ears” thing and perhaps the blinders on the pony driving bridle. Actually, with these lg-standard donks, it’s more about getting them to lift their head up high enough to put it on, rather than lowering it – BTW: your horse sure looks good!
    Took the last two days to work on “trailer-less trailer training”…starting with a sheet of plywood on the ground. Kinsey will load right up in a real trailer, but balked on this for about an hour. Jenny-Mae figured to leap over the plywood to get to me & the apple bit! Jenny-Mae takes an hour or better to load in a real trailer. Kinsey still hasn’t figured out how to go forward after being backed, but I can see her trying to figure it out. They’re not at all afraid of poles, chains, the plow or cultivator…:)

One of my mares didn’t initially like the bit being slipped into her mouth. I bought a nylon straight bar driving bit with large rings and coated it with molasses, which I let her lick off for several days before even putting it in her mouth. Then I slipped it into her mouth, but just held it there for a few minutes before allowing her to “give” (spit) it back to me. Then, after a few days of this, I snapped the rings on the bit (still coated with molasses) to the buckles on the side of the halter with a double sided snap. I would tie her to the barn (with her halter, not the bit) and let her fidget with this bit while I worked with the other. In fact I ultimately did this with both; even the mare that wasn’t having a problem accepting the bit. After a few weeks both of them would stand quitely with the bit snapped into their mouth. I then switched to the bridle and bit. Don’t know if this would be applicable to your situation.

One other thing. Robert, have you checked to make sure she doesn’t have any wolf teeth that the bit could be banging on? If so, have the vet pull them and she may be much more agreeable to taking the bit.

near horse
    Participant

Another way to work the bitting process (at first) is to have the bit attached to the right side if the halter or bridle as normal but attach a snap to the bit ring on the left side bit ring. You can bridle or halter first – then work on getting her to take the bit w/o having worry about the bridle/halter thing. You can then use on hand to bring the bit to her mouth and the other hand (thumb) on her the bar of her jaw to get her to open her mouth a little. I’m not saying force her mouth open or the bit in at all. Just slow and easy. This worked pretty well with one of my horses.

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

All good advice, here = thanks, guys! Jenny-Mae’s issue seems to be the bit – she halters up very well…and I’m always very gentle w/ the donkeys’ ears – they both love the scratching! Manipulating the ears only gives some trouble – I think the snap-over (as with the halter) will fix that aspect. I’m going to try the mollases & snaps on the bit…am ordering mullen bits (my mentor usues them exclusively on her 4 mammoth donks & has great response from them). From what I’m understanding here, a halter w/ a bit would work, to experimant on whether blinders are needed? If nothing else, all this concentrated attention these two are getting lately sure has improved their attitudes towards working/dealing with me.

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Well, if the weather clears up, I’ll be spending most of this weekend at my mentor’s place…she’s got the 2 new donks (she has 3 mammoths & 1 large-standard) to try at ground-driving as a team, each to get hitched w/ old Luc (the reliable old large-standard), and possibly a 3-abeast w/ each of the new boys (Merlin and I think it’s Arthur) with Luc & Gallahad. She’s never done a 3-abreast before, herself! Lots of learning opportunities for me, this weekend! And with my new unemp. checks starting in 2 weeks, I’ll (finally) be able to get the harnesses sent to me for my girls = to discover just how much I have (or still need to) learn! 😀

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Woohoo! I’ve been invited by my mentor to come over this afternoon to help her with her first-time-ever hitching/driving 3-abreast on her wagon, and 4-up on grounddriving. I’ll post a link to here website when she’s posted the photos. This should be very interesting, educational…and FUN!!!

*Lucky me*
    :p

Robernson
    Participant

I will add to Robert’s donkey thread. I bought a harness for my donkey in July,and have been trying to get her used to it. She does pretty good but we have a problem with trying to bolt and run off,she has done it 3 times now but is yet to get away from me, she seems to try to bolt when we turn right,I don’t know why but she does. I don’t know if anybody has any thoughts on that,but they would be helpful.

Sorry to steal your thread Mr. Moonshadow….:eek:

~~R

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I forget the full history of the donkey before you got it. With out that there isn’t much to say. I hope you won’t take offense if I suggest that this donkey’s level of training and experience doesn’t match your level training and experience. Here are some questions just to get you started. How old is the donkey? What previous training is he or she supposed to have had? What previous work have they been doing? How long since they were working, (if they had a long spell with out working)? Were there any mishaps that you know of prior to you getting them? Do they drive with a lot of pressure on the bit, some pressure on the bit, or almost none? In general, do they seem calm, relaxed, etc. Could you harness this animal in a fifty foot pen with out tieing it up? Any other ground manors or behaviors that are less than ideal?

Just some questions to start with.

Robernson
    Participant

I guess I didn’t really give much info..sorry:o
    She was driven regulary by her previous owner. I never saw her driven by him,but that really wasn’t why I bought her in the first place. Anyway,I can harness her in a 24’x24′ pen without tying her up. She does fine with little pressure on the bit,but when she just has this problem with bolting. I have know idea why. anyway,no need to worry yourself too much.

~~R

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Hey, now, Roberson…it’s not “stealing” my thread! I’m glad you’re contributing your experiences. My first thought was to wonder if there might be something on her right side, such as harness or bridle irritating her or causing pain? In my (very) limited experience, it’s usually pretty severe to cause a donkey to actually bolt. Any update on this problem?

grey
    Participant

@Robernson 21165 wrote:

I will add to Robert’s donkey thread. I bought a harness for my donkey in July,and have been trying to get her used to it. She does pretty good but we have a problem with trying to bolt and run off,she has done it 3 times now but is yet to get away from me, she seems to try to bolt when we turn right,I don’t know why but she does. I don’t know if anybody has any thoughts on that,but they would be helpful.

Sorry to steal your thread Mr. Moonshadow….:eek:

~~R

Is she wearing blinders? If so, perhaps when she turns right she catches a glimpse of something that spooks her. Does it happen when she is ground-driven or only when hitched to something? Don’t forget that equine are not very good at equating left and right. Which is to say, if something happens on the left and it makes them feel a certain way, they won’t necessarily feel the same way about it when it happens on the right. You have to specifically train each “side” of the equine.

Equine are also left or right “sided” the way that people are left or right “handed”. That can occasionally result in some odd behavior.

As far a something physically causing discomfort and causing her to bolt… when a horse bends to the right, they are pushing harder with the left shoulder. Definitely scrutinize the left side of the collar. Go over every part of the harness and make sure that things are symmetrical. Have you tried a different bit? It could be a tooth problem.

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

I talked w/ my driving mentor about this, and her questions/comments were: Is this when driving solo or a team? {If team, she might not like being on that side}. This happens when hitched to…? …or ground driving, too…? Were there any commonalities in these bolt attempts? One of her big boys (Gallahad) (she has 4 mammoths) just can not stand to pass an aluminum can if hitched on the right side, but is okay if hitched on the left or if it’s a coffee can, etc.; Merlin, on the other hand, doesn’t like a certain gate on a neighbor’s farm.
    Her other comment is this: Be glad it’s a donkey & not a horse…it’ll more likely be consistent in the spooking & thus a bit easier to unravel the mystery. As well as being a lot less likely to totally panic-bolt.
    We had a “spook-in-place” occur yesterday {her terminology} while driving through wheat stubble fields, when a covey of quail exploded literally all around their feet {This was w/ Gallahad & Lippy-Luvver Luc on a 2-wheel cart} –> Both boys spooked severely, as can be expected; but they didn’t bolt. One bird actually took off from between them! Shook us all up, let me tell you!
    I hope you figure this out, w/ your donkey – please keep us updated.

Robernson
    Participant

Well, being as my neighbor for some reason has every size collar imaginable (I guess many years of mules and donkeys has that effect.) He brought one out and slammed it on my fine little equine and she did fine,so I guess that was the problem. As of the moment she drives pretty good,I probably just doomed myself with that statement..:rolleyes:

I will keep you posted with the donkey stories.

Ohh and one more word on donkey harnesses. My neighbor brought me plans for a single donkey yoke (looks kinda like what you put on a single ox), I wonder if this is a hint:p

~~R

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Glad it’s working out for you!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.