working mares

• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jac
    Participant

Up till very recently I have used geldings for all my work, including the tourist work. The boys would happily pee and poop at every opperchancity, either at the stop or on the road. The 2 mares we now use have done farm work but did the 1st 3 days town work last weekend. They left the usual piles in the truck on the way down to the job but passed nothing for the next 5 hours !!. They were stopped on an area of grass.. Water is offered at every stop, not always taken but offered non the less.Once back in the yard normal service was resumed !! Is this a cause for concern ? or am I just lucky to have 2 horses that dont want to make a mess in public:cool:
    John

LStone
    Participant

Hey JAC,

Probably the later. I don’t think there is much to worry about here, and timing is key when it comes to that. When it’s time to go it’s time to go. I have worked with a few mares that I noticed would pee as soon as they were turned in to a stall from working. and my mare never leaks in harness so I guess I’m lucky too. Maybe it has something to do with the stance and the britchen. Don’t know for sure.

Larry

Andy Carson

My mare seems to go all the time, so this isn’t something unique to all mares.

mink
    Participant

guess you just got lucky jac. my mares go when they want . only thing worse than a cow peeing on a flat rock is a mare peeing on a flat rock:eek:

Big Horses
    Participant

We’ve got 2 mares that wait until they’re in a clean stall….. or so it seems!:mad:
    John

jac
    Participant

thanks for the responses guys… its amazing the things we notice when working these animals every day.
    John

LStone
    Participant

I was ground driving my team on the roads at home. Somebody once said to me “nice view isn’t it”? I responded “yeah, but you have to really pay attention and be on your toes when it changes”. Have a great day out there today in the sunshine. In New England anyway I wish I could get out there today. But my day is tomorrow and it will certainly rain.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Some of the horses and ponies that I ride are just the same. They wait till they’re back in the stable.

grey
    Participant

Mine have shy bladders. They hold it as long as they can when they’re in harness. In the tie stalls, they pee when it’s feeding time, oddly.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.