Year Old Working Steers

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Off Topic Discussion Year Old Working Steers

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Zeek.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Zeek
    Participant

Hi,
    Last Spring I acquired twin Ayrshire bull calves. I spent the last year training them and working with them. They are very socialized and desensitized to most noises and ‘scary’ things. Our boys are well trained for their age but they could still obviously use some fine tuning. They know Gee, Haw, Get Up, Woah, Step over, and back. We’re currently working on easy and step up and getting them to walk together as the more dominate ox always wants to walk first. They have also been trained to pick up their feet when asked to. Though they aren’t very good at the back ones their front feet when they behave they have flying colors.

I’ve been working with oxen for the past 4 years. I learned on a team of Milking Devons who didn’t have very much consistency. So you could imagine that training a team of Ayrshire calves were much easier. My partner and I love these boys very much however we’re both about to graduate from College. Originally she was going to take them with her but things have shifted as they often do and she will be unable to take them with her. My plans currently are also in a place where I could take them for the summer but the rest of my future is up in the air.

I’m really looking for someone who will be able to continue their training. They’re really sweet boys and I don’t want to see them beefed yet after all the work we’ve put into them. Their names are Moon and Shine and attached is a photo. As they are still young they will need a firm hand and someone who knows how to work with cattle and especially oxen. I just want them to have a good home where they wont be neglected.

For the summer I’ll be located in Poultney Vermont. Please let me know if you have any interest, or know of anyone who might have interest.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dominiquer60

How can people contact you?

Erika

Zeek
    Participant

With my current schedule email or text is the best. I’m not very available for phone calls at this point unless you would want to set up a designated time and appointment.
    email: zeekmr@greenmtn.edu
    Phone: 401-862-8624

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.