Zeb on the arch

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jim Ostergard
    Participant

A good day at the end of last week. Finally got the time to take my new guy Zeb and give him a try on the walking-beam arch. With so little known about his history their was some anxiety about whether or not he had ever been in a set of shafts. Had thought of getting some help over but in the end cross tied him to the back of his trailer and went to it. Lately we have been getting closer and closer. In the barn every night, a complete grooming, lots of talk and stroking has really seemed to tune us to the same beam. This helped I’m sure as he already has a good bit of trust. As an aside when I first had him in the woods he pulled down a hang and didn’t flip when it hit the ground behind him so I think there is some trust there. Anyway hauled the arch up behind him and put the shafts in place. He never raised his head just munched on the hay in the net in front of him. Backed right up on command and off we went. This arch has 4 wheels on walking beams so it drags when coming around. Zeb responded to “come around gee,” and all other commands like he had come home. No lather or sweat after a mile on the road and back. This was a pleasing and peaceful moment.
    Jimbojim

mitchmaine
    Participant

hi jim, really sounds like a good clever horse. how big is he? belgian? good luck with him, and keep in touch.

mitch

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

Howdy Mitch,
    He is we (Jason Irish & Richard Beal) some Perch, maybe a bit Morgen and perhaps a bit of standardbred. Who knows? Come into Litchfield on a traders truck and he was passed around mostly for riding. Never flinched the first time we know of that he had a harness on in two years and has been willing to go ever since. Lowers his head for the collar as well as the bit. Now just need some steady work for him. Thanks for your support as always. i will bring him to the MOFGA, LIF workshop in the fall.
    Jim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.