2009 Wilson Creek Spring Plowing Bee – a zillion photos

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Events 2009 Wilson Creek Spring Plowing Bee – a zillion photos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    grey
    Participant

Hey, I took a bunch of photos at the Wilson Creek plowing bee in Wilson Creek, Washington yesterday (March 28). This annual event is held the last full weekend of March.

Enjoy the photos….

http://www.bignosebags.com/drafts/09marchwilsoncreek.html

jen judkins
    Participant

Those were awesome, Grey. Thank you. Looks like a fun event. I really like the look of those percheron mules

J-L
    Participant

That was an awesome collection of pictures. Thank you. It’s good to see those work animals in a familiar setting for me (sagebrush and open country). I couldn’t agree more with Jen, those big, soggy gray mules just blew me away. Lot’s of pretty horses also, but what a bunch of nice looking mules. I’d love to have a plowing bee here but am not sure how we’d do in my rock pile. In about 2 or 3 weeks we should be working up my oat/barley hay patch. I’m hoping to drill it with my mules.

Hal
    Participant

That’s a great bunch of photos–thanks for posting. I noticed that many of the horses/mules were wearing what looked (to my inexperienced eye) like “yankee brichen” harnesses–is that more common out West?

grey
    Participant

Those Percheron mules that guy has are BIG. And I mean BIG. They are also very well-mannered. If I were to turn mule, I’d want his mules. But since I’m sticking with Percherons for now, I’ll gladly take that blue roan Perch.

I don’t know if the Yankee britchen is more common in Eastern Washington. The two outfits that were using them (four of the six of mules and the six of Belgians) are from that region. But so’s the eight of tank-like Percherons, and they’re just using plowing harness with no britchen.

I have seen a few other folks using Yankee britchen on their saddle mules while plowing. Is it a mule thing? Or an Eastern Washington/Idaho thing?

I’m wondering if the mule folks are partial to the Yankee britchen because the western box britchen doesn’t fit mule butts as well. Mules generally have that squared-off rear, inherited from the donkey parent. Maybe it doesn’t fill out the box britchen as fully as a horse’s butt does. The rest of the harness needs to be comparable in size, but I think they might do better in a slightly smaller box britchen, otherwise the rings where the holdback straps attach might be too far forward and chafe the belly where they curve in to meet the pole strap.

Going to have to ask some mule people about that.

OldKat
    Participant

@grey 7542 wrote:

Those Percheron mules that guy has are BIG. And I mean BIG. They are also very well-mannered. If I were to turn mule, I’d want his mules. But since I’m sticking with Percherons for now, I’ll gladly take that blue roan Perch.

I don’t know if the Yankee britchen is more common in Eastern Washington. The two outfits that were using them (four of the six of mules and the six of Belgians) are from that region. But so’s the eight of tank-like Percherons, and they’re just using plowing harness with no britchen.

I have seen a few other folks using Yankee britchen on their saddle mules while plowing. Is it a mule thing? Or an Eastern Washington/Idaho thing?

I’m wondering if the mule folks are partial to the Yankee britchen because the western box britchen doesn’t fit mule butts as well. Mules generally have that squared-off rear, inherited from the donkey parent. Maybe it doesn’t fill out the box britchen as fully as a horse’s butt does. The rest of the harness needs to be comparable in size, but I think they might do better in a slightly smaller box britchen, otherwise the rings where the holdback straps attach might be too far forward and chafe the belly where they curve in to meet the pole strap.

Going to have to ask some mule people about that.

grey,

All of the horses in that hitch are stout, but that blue roan is really something special. Got any idea who owns that hitch of Percherons?

near horse
    Participant

Hey Grey,

I was at Wilson Creek too and was camped with my team right next to one hitch of mules w/ yankee britchen used them in the 8 up. I can’t remember the guys last name Jim something out of Davenport I think. The Percherons in the big hitch were w/ Stan Riebold from St. John WA. Both hitches are likely to be at Colfax WA in 3 weeks (April 16-17?) same weekend as SFJ.

Where were you?

grey
    Participant

I didn’t bring my nags, Geoff. I don’t have any riding equipment right now – only walking – so I left my girls at home… didn’t realize some of my friends were bringing more equipment than they could use all at once. I could have hitched to some of their stuff. I’ll bring horses next year.

I did take one of Buckner’s three a couple turns around the field, though. This is me:

049.jpg

What were you driving? I’m sure I said hello. I made a point to try to bother almost everyone there.

near horse
    Participant

Hey Grey,

They do a really nice job of providing for you at Wilson Creek, don’t they?
    I couldn’t have asked for more.

I had a team of young Belgians – it looks like you got a picture of them (about 1/2 way down your page) – one w/ a blaze and one w/o. We don’t have anything to play in the dirt either so we were using a forecart of Todd Bohnet’s w/ a section of harrow behind (started off Sat AM w/ 2 sections but was killing my horses w/ it). I had a small bumper pull stock trailer next to semi w/ the eight mules tied to it. I’m the 6’1 240# guy w/ light hair & a ball cap, black coat w/ blue sweatshirt underneath. Just think of the fool who was harrowing and could have gotten a DUI based on his erratic paths – actually was hard to see where you’d been w/ all the dust, rain, wind. Where axactly are you in W. WA ?

Are you going down to SFJ this year?

grey
    Participant

Oh! You had the young team of Belgians who pulled a harrow behind a forecart. I only got one shot of your team and it wasn’t a very good photo. I think you are in the background on a couple of photos but your team was one that kind of fell through the cracks in my photo-taking endeavor. I’m sorry! It certainly wasn’t on purpose. I liked your young team. Especially the one poking his tongue out. :rolleyes: Does he do that all the time? Or just for PETA?

grey
    Participant

Hah, looks like we posted at the same time. I live in western Washington… Monroe.

grey
    Participant

Oh, and yes I am going to the SFJ auction. Hope to maybe take home a riding plow. Sure wanted that harrow cart last year but some crazy person bought it for yard art. :confused: She didn’t even know what it was for.

I’m taking my gooseneck. Hope to not bring any horses home in it but it is pretty tough sometimes to only bring home things that don’t eat.

Will you be joining us on the Wagon Train this year? It’s a lot of fun!

grey
    Participant

I just remembered! You provided assistance when I almost rode the wheel off Buckner’s plow. And baling twine for the other Geoff’s harness issue.

I had just started to notice a rhythmic scraping noise. Looked down and saw the wheel at an angle. Thought, “Is it supposed to be like that? Is it a gimbal wheel? I didn’t look at this thing very closely when I got on… hmm. That greasy length of axle looks awful dust-free. That can’t be right…” and that’s when Wayne hollered, “Your wheel! Stop!”

Thank you for helping!

J-L
    Participant

Another story on the “Yankee Britchen”. Some people in the west called it Mormon Britchen as well. It’s fairly common around UT, WY, ID.
    One story I heard was it came into more common use around here while the Mormons were hauling stone from the the quarry down into the Salt Lake Valley to build their temple. Apparently it was a more practical set up with heavy loads and steep grades. I’m sure it came with some of them from back east when they migrated.
    It does a good job holding back loads on a down hill grade. It’ll push the hind feet down somewhat for better traction vs. the box britchen. Although I use my box britchen a lot on a down hill, you have to have it adjusted right or it’s hard on your animals. Whether they’re mule or horse doesn’t matter.
    I have a set of Yankee/Mormon britchen harness, but it’s spotted and pretty so it doesn’t see a lot of everyday use. My old box britchen harness is used every day. When it wears out I think I’ll get a plain set of Yankee britchen harness for everyday use.

Plowboy
    Participant

That blue roan has been in alot of pictures and magazines and I would bet no matter what his papers say if he has any that one of his parents was a Brabant Belgian. I’ve also studied that horse everytime I see a photo of it and still believe he’s not 100% Percheron. He is however a nice looking work horse all the same no matter who his Daddy was!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.