2009 Wilson Creek Spring Plowing Bee – a zillion photos

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Events 2009 Wilson Creek Spring Plowing Bee – a zillion photos

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Plowboy
    Participant

Forgot to mention that your pictures were great Grey. Thanks it’s always nice to see photos of working horses and mules in different regions.

grey
    Participant

I only took a few short videos at Wilson Creek. Glued em’ all together end-to-end and put them up on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnq_LNDOYWw

Or there’s this version, which is just a touch shorter (took out the part where the mules got hung up and needed adjusting) and set to a peppy song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKZhXsgHxDA

If you want to download the videos and save them to your computer, I recommend this website: http://keepvid.com/ It’s really easy.

Ira
    Participant

@J-L 7568 wrote:

Another story on the “Yankee Britchen”. Some people in the west called it Mormon Britchen as well. It’s fairly common around UT, WY, ID.
    One story I heard was it came into more common use around here while the Mormons were hauling stone from the the quarry down into the Salt Lake Valley to build their temple. Apparently it was a more practical set up with heavy loads and steep grades. I’m sure it came with some of them from back east when they migrated.
    It does a good job holding back loads on a down hill grade. It’ll push the hind feet down somewhat for better traction vs. the box britchen. Although I use my box britchen a lot on a down hill, you have to have it adjusted right or it’s hard on your animals. Whether they’re mule or horse doesn’t matter.
    I have a set of Yankee/Mormon britchen harness, but it’s spotted and pretty so it doesn’t see a lot of everyday use. My old box britchen harness is used every day. When it wears out I think I’ll get a plain set of Yankee britchen harness for everyday use.

I’ve often wondered if Mormon/Yankee britchen might be related to the Basket britchen used on a lot of D-ring harness’. Both B.Young and J.Smith were Vermonters.

Hal
    Participant

What is basket britchen? I don’t know much about the d-ring harness style.

J-L
    Participant

You may be right Ira. I didn’t know for sure where those guys came from, I thought New York. It would be interesting to know for sure about the harness’ origins.

Ira
    Participant

Hal,
    Basket britchen has the standard rump britchen but it also has another strap across the top of the rump, the same as hip britchen does. The hip strap and the britchen are held in place by single straps from the spider ring. Viewed from the side it is easy to mistake it for a 2 strap britchen.

J-L,
    Brigham Young was born in Whitingham Vt. and Joseph Smith was born in S. Royalton. I’m not sure at what age they relocated to N.Y.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.