2014 DAPNet Annual gathering

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Events DAPNet Annual Gathering 2014 DAPNet Annual gathering

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi all, I am excited to announce our DAPNet Annual Gathering will be at the Cummington Massachusetts Fair Grounds this coming Sept. 26th 27th, and 28th. Keep your eye peeled on our forum and facebook as we make plans for this fun event. Put those dates on your calender now! We are hoping to be back in Cummington one year later for a great Draft Animal – Power Field Days in 2015. There is always room for folks who would like to help us plan and coordinate these great events on our DAPNet Program and Events Committee. Looking forward to seeing you all in Cummington. Donn

Our current thinking is that most activities will take place on Saturday the 27th, but some of us will want to camp over night before and or after. More details to follow.

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Sounds exciting, Don I added this to the events page and posted it to the calendar on the forum. Let me know details as they become available and I will update it accordingly.

Ed

Anthony
    Participant

If anyone attending has an “Anny’s All-In-One” I would love to check it out if you’d be up for bringing it along.

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

HI,
    Are walk-in meal purchases going to be available this weekend?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Mark, I think there will be plenty of food. Come on down!

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Great day today at Cummington. A few highlights that I saw were mower stuff w Don, training & harness fit w Neal, Bill West plowing & mowing and an incredible cultivating brain trust of Stephen Leslie, Chuck Cox and David Fisher. Along with the usual fantastic visiting & food. VERY heartening to see all the dedicated young folks there.
    Thanks all for a great day.
    When should I come after my new mower?
    Mark

Baystatetom
    Participant

It was a great weekend indeed. The weather couldn’t have been better and now I have a few faces to go with the names I have seen on here. Thanks everybody who took part!
    I think my favorite part was the music, great musicians and that girl can sing!
    ~Tom

Stephen Leslie
    Participant

Anthony, We did end up bringing the Anny’s All-In-One to the gathering. We have one at our place—Cedar Mountain Farm in Hartland, Vt. You are welcome to come up for a visit and check it out. We haven’t used it much because we already had other tools and systems working well when we got it—but doing the demos at the gathering I was definitely getting some inklings of its possibilities for managing smaller acreage with one or two horses.
    -Stephen

Anthony
    Participant

Stephen, I was able to make it out on Sunday morning and was pleased to take in a bit of the All-in-one in use as well as the rest of the cultivating workshop and the vegetable farming equipment slideshow. Seeing it in person was certainly helpful. It is a high quality piece of equipment for sure, lots of great adjustments, well built too. I am pondering how it might fit into our 3 acre very rocky somewhat hilly vegetable garden and am in touch with the producers about possible custom tools for it. Sorry to not have properly introduced myself, I was the fellow adamant about seeing the all-in-one used before the slideshow!

Thanks again.
    -Anthony

Stephen Leslie
    Participant

Great, Anthony, glad you got to see the All-In-One in action—apologies for not recognizing you (remember meeting you at Jay and Janet’s 2011 gathering).
    I have been thinking a lot about trying to find a share from a defunct single-horse plow to mount on the same bar stock that Ann Siri uses on the All-In-One. Also, I would like to see if a small disc attachment could be fabricated. We sometimes end up with one or two beds in a quarter acre section that need to be renovated before the rest and it would be cool to have an appropriately-scaled tool for getting into these smaller sections. Joel and Annalisa Miller have a good article in the most recent SFJ about tillage radish in which they show a couple of the homemade attachments they have built for the Homesteader. I think Pioneer sells the basic stock for their attachments that you can then use for improvisation—probably Ann would do the same.
    Stephen

Mike Rock
    Participant

Stephen,
    Do you know a source for ‘meeker harrow’ parts, not the whole gizmo like Market Farm sells.
    Also smaller diameter disc blades. Wear Parts sells them down to 13″ but I’m looking for 8″ or so. Same for coulters, 8-10″.

Brabant Owner, aka Tommy Flowers might have the plow parts you seek.

God bless.

Most respectfully,
    Mike

Stephen Leslie
    Participant

Hello Mike,
    I wasn’t familiar with the Meeker Harrow you referred to so I went and looked it up.
    I found a great old (1901) reference book called “The Garden Book for Practical Farmers” by Tuisco Greiner—which is available for free as an ebook on Googlebooks site. The book describes the harrow and has one drawing.
    I also came across a company that might have the discs; “Wengers of Myerstown” in PA, tel. 1-800-451-5240
    Thanks for bringing this tool to our attention. It really seems like the forerunner to today’s cultimulchers.
    Best of luck,
    Stephen
    PS) posting a picture of a modified Meeker for shaping beds

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Stephen Leslie
    Participant

Meant to add—photo is from Wysmykal Farm in Nova Scotia

Mike Rock
    Participant

Stephen,
    Thanks for Wengers information. I’ll call them. What I am trying to build is a bed former using these meeker discs as the compaction element. Richard Wiswall has one he uses with his tractor system and I am going for the horse drawn equivalent for 36″ wheel spacing, so a 24″ bed top or so.

We need raised beds here because of water. Our gardens are just below the hillside seep lines and we sometimes have flowing springs in the beds until late May.

Thank you.

Mike

chandler
    Participant

Mike and all,

Here is a bed-shaping attachment for the two-horse cultimulcher built by Marvin Brisk in Halfway, Oregon. We took it off as we don’t need a bed-shaper, but there is an idea for another way to do it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.