A little reminder

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Horses A little reminder

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    daniel grover
    Keymaster

In the morning, I mowed with our two new geldings. They’ve been on the farm about a month and a half. We spent 2.5 hours clipping dairy pasture and mowing around our vegetable fields. I put them in the barn before lunch and they stood the rest of the day in harness.

Around 4:00, I went to turn them out and coming out of the barn with one lead rope in each hand, I intersected with Jason, one of the farm crew, coming up the road on our Super C with a rake behind. He slowed down to let me pass. Jon, another of our farm crew, was also coming up the road pulling a Vermont Cart. When he went stepped forward to continue up the road, I felt myself fly and land on the driveway and then I heard the thundering of hooves as they ran down the road. I found out later that Jon’s foot had slipped on the gravel. I don’t know if it was the cart or the tractor or the sound of his foot on the gravel or all of these factors or something else entirely that caused the wreck but both horses ran through and over me. After checking to make sure I was okay, Jon and Jason, who both have some experience driving, went to collect the boys and I got up, went inside and started to unharness our team of mares so that I could turn them out next. I felt very calm and collected at this point, sure that I would continue with the afternoon horse chores. Coming out of the barn with Pat and Pearl, Jason took them from me and told me he’d take it from here, to go get washed up. I went to shower and clean up the scrapes on the side of my body that hit the gravel driveway and that was when I started to think about what had happened and what could have happened.

Both horses ran out towards the pasture, crossed the stream, and put themselves into their fence. I ended up with just some relatively minor gravely scrapes on my elbow and side and a sore thigh and knee. A good reminder of the speed with which things can change when you’re working horses and, too, a reminder of the consciousness that’s required of us when we’re working around them.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by daniel grover. Reason: Correction to the story
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by daniel grover.
    Ed Thayer
    Participant

Glad you are OK Daniel. It is easy to be complacent around our animals after a while, but important as you describe to remain calm when things go wrong. We are engaged in potentially dangerous work and need to manage the risks as best as possible.

I remember a sleigh ride where a person said to me, ” you must trust those horses with your life. They are so calm and gentle.” My response took her back when I suggested that although I do hold a level of trust and communication with them, I certainly would not trust them with my life.

Keep on Keepin On

Ed

dominiquer60

A wise man once said, “Don’t trust your horses, trust that you know them.” (2007 NEAPFD Keynote by Lynn Miller)

I am glad that everyone was reasonably well Daniel. It is easy to get complacent, especially with the “easy” animals.

I caused a 20′ runaway the other day because I didn’t think anything of throwing a few pieces of re-bar on top of a hog panel to get them out of the way. Thankfully I made the conscious decision to keep the cultimulcher tines engaged with the soil, while I hopped off to move the metal. It was a hard pull for them as the near mare led the bolt across the 20′ of headland sod. They were gearing down to stop at my second “whoa”, and the third prevented a second (or more) potato plant from getting crushed by the front roller. I walked up to them with much praise for stopping before they thrashed my delicate “Rose Gold” new potatoes. I did bend an Danish S-tine backing out of the potatoes, but I can live with that, a small price for my complacency. I know that the near mare can be randomly edgy, the C130 flying low, was no problem, the impact wrench in the near-by farm shop, no big deal, re-bar on hog panel, just the ticket that day.

We never know exactly what will happen, so always be aware. Also be thankful for the small reminders, they are easier to endure than the big ones.

Erika

Carl Russell

So Danial, I have thought long and hard about this, and about my reply. George (Doe’s Leap) has recently written to me to share some of what I have been up to working with my new geldings, and while I am not going to put this here in your post, the thoughts that I have pertaining to that enterprise have some association with what you have gone through.

First of all, I am glad that you are sound after such an ordeal.

I also want to say that I am not one hundred percent sure what point you were trying to make, but it seems that most of it was focused on how fast horses can react, and how vigilant we need to be when handling them.

And to that point I would say that no matter how stoved in I was, I would never have let those two men anywhere near those, or the other horses that day. I am not blaming them for the accident, but clearly at least one minimally contributed. The point is not to blame them, but to continue with your self-appointed task.

That for me is where the focus and vigilance builds from. I go get those horses, walk them back to the barn, one at a time if necessary, and start over, also maybe one at a time this time.

I know that they only thought they were helping out, but it seems clear that they also did not see the importance of this as a training moment. The disconnect that was allowed to occur at the choice of the horses, was not acceptable, and needed to be addressed (if only for you to reconnect to take of halters and leads). I do not mean that there was any malice, just that there was some level of confusion, and some reason for which they thought that they would reject your leadership.

The way the situation was resolved did not address that.

It is not a bridge that cannot be crossed again. And I do not mean to insinuate that this was a major failure. I just feel that my comments need to be focused on encouraging you to assert your prominence in situations like this. If not for the farm or for the horses, then for you as a developing teamster.

Sure you should accept the caring assistance of your workmates, but the truth is that we cannot share our prominence as leaders to the animals we work with. It is based on personal ownership of our actions and activities, and in this modern world we are trained to be more humble than that. Unfortunately, accommodating and humble are essential attributes, but they require extra time, experience and skill to use appropriately.

To be effective they need to be offset by some elbow. As subordinate participants in cultural life we are trained not to fill our complete essence. We are trained to apologize, and to accommodate, to withhold our utmost expressions of individuality, and independence.

Working with horses has been huge for me to understand this, and to fill out as the person I am supposed to be. As I have explained many time before, for me it all, always comes down to pressure and release. The pressure that I carry with me all the time is the way I carry myself. I am full, and present, and that is a constant that I never compromise on. Horses can read that.

Working with the new geldings I have seen this in play while working alongside some novices. Many people rely on technique, method, and conditioned responce to make sure horses are going along with the intended task, and of course they will, to a degree, but they can clearly read how secure that leadership is.

Accommodation and cooperation are the release, the reward, but they are largely ineffective if they are used to attract reciprocation. Horses are simple, and while they want to be comfortable and trusting, they also will not be attracted to us if we do not somehow define for them who we are. We need to carve out our form in the environment of the farm and working system that they are a part of.

In this instance I will not rehash any of the specifics, or search for blame, just reiterate that for me the discipline that leads to owning one’s self in the leadership role starts with not relinquishing that role. That means not allowing your caring friends to take over that role, not allowing the horses to bypass your leadership without some reinforcement.

I hope these comments first of all make sense, and more importantly, I hope they are appropriate. I have seen you around horses, and kept up with you to some degree through the network. You have innate skill, and drive. I only intend to encourage you toward fulfilling that for yourself.

Carl

wally b
    Participant

I think you might have had a better chance at maintaining control/leadership/influence if you had lead one horse at a time. You cant predict a horses action but at least with one it is much easier to react to. I mostly lead horses single for this reason.

wally

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Interesting thoughts Wally. I think it is similar to the advantage / disadvantage of driving a single versus working a team or group. Horses are herd animals. Leading one single is challenging it to accept the fact the you are the beginning and end of the herd. That is a great thing for your horses to learn, but not always as simple as we might think. For this reason I would say I have seen / heard of just as many single horses getting out of hand while leading as I have groups. I try to lead the same group sizes that I drive.

I think what happened for Daniel is just a good reminder to be aware of the mental state of the animals we are working with. Maintaining calm and relaxed animals is the key for me, although it is easy to say and can take a lot of work to create.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.