A sunny winter day

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Member Diaries A sunny winter day

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

After a long winter of computers, cameras, gmail accounts, and picasa all working against me I have finally take some new photos. Yesterday was a beautiful, sunny day with big ash logs, new interns, and of course the young mule Lee leading the way. You can see a few photos at this link.or go to: picasaweb.google.com/mulemandonn

the words “this link” are in blue!

Eli
    Participant

Cool pictures. Looks like a good day. Eli

Rivendell Farm
    Participant

Great pictures Donn. Are you trying to get ahead of the Emerald Ash borer? Bob

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Well, I look at the ash this way. It is a large percentage of this 8 acre stand. It is also the most mature timber in the stand. Many of the ash are diseased and a few have died (not ash borer). While I don’t plan to take them all, I certainly am taking out a good number, making some openings that other trees can benefit from, etc. I think I have 100+ of these big tall trees. So far I haven’t sold any but have been having them milled for various projects. Perhaps next winter I will sell one or two loads. So yes, planning for the ash borer, but in a gradual way.

J-L
    Participant

Nice Donn. I really like your mule colt.

It makes me realize I need to try and take pictures. We had a gorgeous day too. Deepest blue skies and fresh snow. Had three bald eagles in the cottonwoods overlooking the feedgrounds.
    12 below zero this morning though.

Thanks for taking the time to share.

Elizabeth Goodwin
    Participant

Best pictures ever!

Ronnie Tucker
    Participant

your colt looks good.you should leave it in the barn when you work his mother.it will make weaning easier.i hope she has you another one this time.

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

@Donn Hewes 39903 wrote:

…have been having them milled for various projects. Perhaps next winter I will sell one or two loads. So yes, planning for the ash borer, but in a gradual way.

Sounds like a good approach.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Ronnie, I have just been thinking about leaving her behind, but it is fun to see her out there investigating the work. She is just 5 months old and I think the mare is perhaps starting to wean her a little herself. The mule is already very independent and I don’t think it will be too bad. The mare was bred once on the second heat, but lost that one. Now we are waiting to see her come back in. Another mare is set to foal next month.

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Awesome pics don, the go devil looks like it works great. Thanks for sharing. I wish I had a forest with 100 ash trees like the ones pictured. Lots to build around here.

Ed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.