Animal Power Gathering & Draft Animal Power Network Annual Meeting

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Events DAPNet Annual Gathering Animal Power Gathering & Draft Animal Power Network Annual Meeting

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    imported_Stella
    Participant

😎 What a great excuse to visit the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont! 😀

September 14 – 16, 2012

Perry Farm, Brownington, VT

What’s it about: Draft horses, mules & oxen working in the hayfield, plowing and working in the woods – experienced teamsters leading workshops & discussions about technique, equipment & adjustments, animal selection and more. There will be chances to get involved, try it out, help and learn.

Highlights: See our NEW HOMEMADE PTO Forecart! Mower rebuilding & adjustment advice from Jay Bailey, Plowing with Sam Rich, Starting & Working with Oxen, See the Piggyback Logging Arch in action!

Schedule:
    Friday morning – Arrival & settling in, working in the woods, felling trees & moving some logs with a single horse and getting set up for the weekend
    Friday afternoon – tour the Webster Farm Collection (thousands of pieces of farm equipment from the mid 1800’s – mid 1900’s) and discuss mower gearing with 15+ models to compare, also what to look for when purchasing a mower to rebuild. Just before supper: Fitting a pole on a plow – measurements, shaping & considerations
    Friday evening – bring a potluck dish to share for supper followed by a Teamster Round-table Discussion, campfire, music and visiting

Saturday morning – Using Draft Power in the woods: horses & oxen, teams & singles; Animal Power in the Hayfield: Mowing & Mower Adjustment with Jay Bailey, Tedding/Raking & Baling featuring our NEW HOMEMADE PTO forecart! Plowing with Mules & Oxen
    Saturday mid-day – Lunch & Draft Animal Power Network Annual Meeting
    Saturday afternoon – Training Draft Animals: Oxen with Sam Rich & Erika Marczak, Horses with Neal Perry & Rebekah Bailey.
    Saturday evening – Music by The Boulders, visiting, campfire

Sunday morning – Finishing up in the woods, field & plowing as interest determines. Another tour of the Webster Farm Collection – don’t miss it!
    Sunday mid-day – Lunch, wrap-up and farewells

There will be games & activities for kids on Saturday and during the tour on Sunday morning.
      Bring a potluck contribution for Friday night, instruments and singing voices welcome!
      All meals will be available, preregistration helps us plan (form attached).
      Camping available on site, hot showers too!
      Call with questions: 802-754-2396

IMPORTANT DIRECTION INFO: If you are using a GPS to get here, navigate to the OLD STONE HOUSE MUSEUM in Brownington, then follow signs: 1/2 mile to Dutton Brook Lane and we are in 1/2 mile.

Perry Family Farm – 509 Dutton Brook Lane, Brownington, VT 05860 – http://www.nealperryfarm.comneal@nealperryfarm.com

dominiquer60

Who else is going?

I am bringing my steers up, and hope to meet some new draft people from the Northeast Kingdom!

jen judkins
    Participant

I’ll be up with Reno to do some logging demos. I hear Chuck Cox will be bringing his new Pioneer Homesteader for us to play with as well.

Carl Russell

Unfortunately we will miss it….. sounds like a great time…. as usual:o.

That is our anniversary weekend….. AND it’s the Tunbridge World’s Fair, so we are doubled up already.

We wish you all good weather and fun times.

Carl & Lisa

LongViewFarm
    Participant

I’ll be there with my team and +1. Looking forward to more logging with you all, and maybe mowing for the first time. See you there

imported_Stella
    Participant

Come and check it out! We are so excited about our newest farm tractor – an Alice Chalmers WD45 with ground-speed PTO that Neal pulled out of the woods behind his Aunt’s house and dragged home (literally – one wheel was missing), complete with 4″ maple growing up through the middle of it.

Thanks to the help of his inventor & welder friend, Phil Beaudry, it is now a super-slick PTO forecart that is pulled easily with two or three horses to run our 18′ gyro tedder and soon a haybine and bailer. One of the neatest features is that the transmission allows 4 different forward speeds for the PTO, allowing us to use the tedder to rake hay into two windrows or to spread/fluff it. And revers means that it is easy to unplug without backing the horses. A hydrolic pump & battery are mounted on the back so we’ll be able to lift equipment as well.

I’ve attached a photo to whet your appetite, but come and check it out in action! And bring photos & stories of similar experiments to share.

This photo is from the first day we used it. It has since gotten a bunch more grease and some additional weight removed so it is pulling easier. Our Brabant paired with a large Morgan tedded & raked several acres with no problem last weekend. There are no doubt still some bugs to work out but overall we are so delighted with how it runs, and less than $2,000 in to it.

Ed Thayer
    Participant

That is super cool. 🙂

bradley

Can’t wait to see you all again!!! We’ll miss you Carl and family.

imported_Stella
    Participant

The fun is stacking up! Lots of momentum building for the Gathering – calling one and all to take advantage of the newly extended pre-registration deadline: send your registration form by September 10 for reduced rates… Here is a link to the form: Gathering registration form here.

See you all soon!

imported_Stella
    Participant

Postmark your pre-registration for the Annual Gathering by TODAY for discounted meals… deadline extended!
    It really helps us plan and makes check-in quicker if you send your registration in ahead of time. Please take a moment now to get yours in. Click here [URL=”http://http://www.nealperryfarm.com/2012%20Gathering%20reg%20form.pdf”]http://http://www.nealperryfarm.com/2012%20Gathering%20reg%20form.pdf[/URL] for the registration form and get it in the mail today.

We are expecting 8-10 teams and a strong turnout for demonstrations & workshops. Come join the fun! Don’t miss the tour of Fred Websters Farm Machinery Collection. Have you seen an Adriance mower in person? Was it sitting next to a Daine, a New Ideal and a stones’ throw from the mower that Sears Roebuck sold? And of course there is a McD#9 and a JD#4 too, about 20mowers in all, each representing a different time period, different gearing & different ideas about how it should work. There are barns and barns and barns full of fascinating stuff to see – don’t miss it! There will be kids activities going on at the Farm, please plan to leave kids there. We’ll leave the Perry Farm at 12:30 on Friday to carpool & caravan over to Freds, about 7 miles away.

Looking forward to a great weekend – hope you can join us!

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Stella, this link does not work for me, too many http’s in the link I suspect. FYI, I will be there Friday and Sat.

imported_Stella
    Participant

Oh dear. Try http://www.nealperryfarm.com I’ll put you on the list – see you soon!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.