Artaq

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sean518
    Participant

Well, I’d posted previously about my 30 year old Belgian gelding falling on the ice and not being able to get up. On Wednesday, it happened again. I didn’t get home from work until late, and by that time my neighbor Sean had been over with his tractor to try and get him up again. We weren’t successful, and I made the decision to call the vet to put him down. He was cold and shivering, and I’m not at home four days a week, and with this horrible weather I knew it would just happen again and again and I didn’t want to put him through that. He was a sweet old guy, and he’d grown up and lived on our farm for almost all of his life. He went out still munching on some hay I’d brought out for him, he was a good eater. That empty stall in the barn is painful to see. He will be missed.

Cameron Littlejohn
    Participant

So sorry to hear that, atleast you got to spend quite a bit of time with him and have some great memories. So sorry about the loss 🙁

near horse
    Participant

My condolences Sean. It’s always a hard thing to say goodbye to an old friend.

Baystatetom
    Participant

I think it is true that time heals all wounds. I hope time passes quickly for you.
    ~Tom

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry to hear about your friend you two were together along time and I`m sure have a lot of good memories.They will last forever

Dave

Jay
    Participant

Thinking of you. It’s never easy. Sounds like you did rightly. Jay

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

yeah, Sean, the empty stall, the empty halter, yoke or harness hanging on the wall. Nothing seems so lonely. But when you knew there was nothing more you could do it was the greatest act of kindness for an old friend. It was a bad day, but remember all the good ones. You did the right thing my friend.

Andy Carson

sorry for your loss, Sean.

Plowboy
    Participant

Sorry to hear about your old boy. We had to put one of our older mares down a year ago last fall from complications of white horse melanoma. She was like family but she rests here on my farm. She worked the gardens and potato patch here in recent years so it is fitting she remain here. Her daughter is expecting a foal this summer to carry on the good natured bloodline we want to preserve.

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Sorry to hear this Sean. You did the right thing and I am sure he is at peace.

messki678
    Participant

ohhh..so sorry to hear this.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.