Basswood Uses

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ed Thayer
    Participant

Does anyone know of a buyer of Basswood? I have 3 huge straight trees to remove from my sugarbush. Would hate to burn it up in the sugarhouse.
    Thanks,

Ed

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Hi Ed:

I was in the same boat last year. I had several veneer quality basswood logs last year and a handful of select logs from the same two trees. The mill where I sell hemlock doesn’t buy hardwood and I was stuck with them. Not really worth the trucking to sell such a small quantity to the mill. A Johnson in Vermont buys basswood, but trucking wouldn’t be worth it. I would check with hardwood mills in your area. I tried selling my logs on craigslist to carvers. No go. I ended up blocking and splitting the logs for firewood. Basswood is as marginal as is gets for firewood, but there you go!

Good luck.

George

Ed Thayer
    Participant

I will try to find a local market. I would mill them to someone’s spec if I can find a buyer. Maybe just saw them into cants and sticker them under some tin.

Ed

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

And let your heirs deal with it! 🙂

Rick Alger
    Participant

Cersosimo in Brattleboro took basswood the last I knew. You can also sell a small number of logs to a concentration yard.

Mike Rock
    Participant

I wonder if Woodcraft Supply in Parkersburg, WV, buys locally? They sure sell basswood.
    There is a place up here in Dodgeville, WI that buys from a neighbour of ours, every two years they thin his woods for basswood. They like 6″ and up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.