camels for pulling carts and plows

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Other Working Animals camels for pulling carts and plows

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    bivol
    Participant

this topic will concentrate on uses of camels for purposes other than carrying goods. camels are actually more vertisle than we think.
    while camels are well known for carrying loads on their backs in deserts, many people don’t n know that they were used fotr pulling carts and waggons in Outback.

in the outback

dromedary camel teams provided much needed power pulling wagons in the outback transporting everything from water to railroad tracks for construction of outback railroad.they were prefered to bullocks and mules for their greater strenght and endurance, and because they did not have to eat and drink as often. up to 16 were hitched to wagons and driven across deserts of outback just like you would drive bullocks.

australian_camel_wagon3.jpg

australian_camel_wagon2.jpg
    this is a big hitch

i’ve also seen seen camels pulling harvesters in fields.

there are two breeds of camels: dromedary (1hump) and bactrian camel (2 humps). they can be crossed, to get a so-called F1 or F2 camel, which is due to hybrid vigour, stronger and bigger than either parents. they are fertile, but are rarely used for breeding, because the offsprings are, i think, bad tempered.
    bactrian camel is adopted to cold climates and cannot stand hot weather. they are shorter and heavier built than the dromedary.
    camel cart

[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2094/2526928209_6c18d47035.jpg?v=0[/IMG]

this is a nice way to use a camel
    [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b8/
    camels can also be used for plowingcamel_rajasthan.jpg

…and for cutting hay…
    three_camel_L.jpg

bivol
    Participant

here are some other pictures too

camel_wagon2.jpg

here camels are pulling harvesters
    working_camels.jpg

9441.jpg

CamelCart.jpg

Neil Dimmock
    Participant

Just to kewl, some even have collars:D
    Neil

goodcompanion
    Participant

Mr. Bactrian, a question for you.
    Concerning your hump,
    Is it one lump,
    or two?

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Wow – Well if the weather keeps changing more of this country is going to be a desert so maybe somebody should bring some camels to the southwest… and evolve that culture….for all of us…

I think I’ll stick with the horses for now…
    I know an elephant would freeze here in the winter and my fence probably wouldn’t hold camels…

Patrick
    Participant

Awesome photos, but a few corrections:

There are two species of camels. Each has their own breeds. There are a few breeds of Bactrians, and many breeds of Dromedaries. There are draft breeds, riding breeds, racing breeds and even dairy breeds in each species. There are even fighting breeds of Bactrians. In some middle eastern countries, racing camels and their breeding is taken as seriously, and is as expensive as thoroughbred horse breeding is in the US. Dromedaries are completely domesticated. They are no longer found in the wild state, and researchers still don’t agree just where the original wild species was from. They are found in feral herds in some places, such as Australia. Some researchers believe that the hump was not found in the wild ancestor of dromedaries, and is strictly a product of domestication. Hybrids are still extensively bred in some areas, and like mules, hybrid vigor and some positive attributes of both parents are used to advantage. Selective breeding of 3/4 and other percentages is intentional, depending on the desired outcome,
    and some sources claim that hybrids are more tractable than either parent.

Bactrians are still found in very small numbers in the wild, mostly in the Gobi desert. They endure both extreme cold of their northern range, but also extreme heat during the summer. The domesticated Bactrian is as different from it’s wild relatives as the domestic yak or reindeer are from theirs. Both species are found in numerous colors, as a product of domestication. They range from white to black, pinto or piebald, to the common tan or brown.

Does anyone know of people working llamas as draft animals or have an idea about a sort of harness one would use? I don’t think llamas have the correct body structure for draft…but I won’t find out until I begin experimenting.

Fantastic pictures and information! Thanks!
    Erika

Patrick
    Participant

Check with the New Hampshire Llama Assn. They have a few shots on their website of someone driving one. About 7 or 8 years ago, a llama show on or near the UNH campus had a guy just with a display who was driving a stunning black team.

manesntails
    Participant

I LOVE Camels! I would love to own and train one. They can even learn dressage movements. Lots of good info in this post!

I guess you steer them with those little ropes tied to their nostrils? Yeeee-ikes! That’s making my nose hurt just looking at it.

Patrick
    Participant

Like many other things that we do to our animals, the use of nose pegs in camels can be misunderstood by those who are unfamiliar with them. Like bits, goads, whips, hobbles and many other devices, they can be harmful if used improperly. When use by knowledgeable, experienced people, they can have many benefits for both the owner and the camel. Here’s what the leading camel veterinarian in the US has to say about them:
    http://www.allcamels.com/articles/nosepegs.html

manesntails
    Participant

When they’re speaking of halters, what type are they meaning? Nylon halters I suppose?

I wonder how a rope halter with knots, like a Natural Horsemanship halter would work on them?

Verrrry interesting about the nose pegs.

I can see how a bit would not be advisable. Just the fact that the camel goes with his head more horizontal than vertical would make a bit ineffective without some kind of ringed martingale to keep the pull low and against the bars of the mouth.

But would a gag bit work?

dominiquer60

Your comment on camel dressage is correct, for those intrigued by this thought, here is a link to a video clip that has been circulating in the show horse community. It is rather amazing how versatile camels are, this one can do lateral work and even a few strides of changing leads every stride.
    enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnsWQ4kNG-w

manesntails
    Participant

@dominiquer60 5160 wrote:

Your comment on camel dressage is correct, for those intrigued by this thought, here is a link to a video clip that has been circulating in the show horse community. It is rather amazing how versatile camels are, this one can do lateral work and even a few strides of changing leads every stride.
    enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnsWQ4kNG-w

Aint that the COOLEST thing!!:D

near horse
    Participant

I know that some relief agencies have helped setup camel dairy cooperatives in Africa. Pretty versatile creatures as someone already said.

For Sat night viewing check out “The Weeping Camel”.

Also, I think that water buffalo used in SE Asia (and other places) are also guided using a ring or peg through the nostril with “reins” attached.

Last, check out how mahouts guide elephants (with their feet on the elephant’s shoulders – I think it’s on the shoulder but maybe it’s behind the ear). Pretty cool. Those things are the ultimate logging unit – besides skidding logs they can load the truck for you:)

Patrick
    Participant

Last, check out how mahouts guide elephants (with their feet on the elephant’s shoulders – I think it’s on the shoulder but maybe it’s behind the ear). Pretty cool. Those things are the ultimate logging unit – besides skidding logs they can load the truck for you

It’s behind the ears. Yes, they can load the truck for you, but they’re also one of the most dangerous animals to work with. They don’t fool around, and if they mean you harm, you’re done.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.