camels for pulling carts and plows

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Other Working Animals camels for pulling carts and plows

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    near horse
    Participant

I agree that elephants can be dangerous – at zoos and wild animal parks, the elephant handler/keeper is considered THE most dangerous position.

[They don’t fool around, and if they mean you harm, you’re done. /QUOTE]

At least they are straight with you about their feelings.:eek:

Cameleer
    Participant

Here are some newer photos taken here in the States of Bactrian camels in harness.
    I just got back from a cattle fair in India where there where 19,000 animals, and around 17,000 of them where camels. I’ve been to India many times learning about the working animals over there. Camels, oxen, buffalos, and elephants.

Cameleer
    http://camelphotos.com

bivol
    Participant

here is a link from a camel forum describing the vertisality and endurance of army camels serving in us army in 1850’s . it is stated that they endure hardships in work, weather and feed far better than horses and mules, who don’t perform as well even if fed grain. camels are far stronger than mules, biggest carrying up to 1000 pounds. they are also fast. what suprised me the most was that their feet (camels can’t be shod) held up even on hard roads.

anyway read and enjoy!

http://camelphotos.com/trainer/viewtopic.php?t=17

Nat(wasIxy)
    Participant

great! I have always loved camels, they seem to be so grumpy butthey do get the job done. I had no idea there were different breeds of camel!

question – do they graze, or browse, will they eat hay/silage do you know? I’m asking because I wonder if they’d live with my oxen 😮

Anonymous
    Inactive

here are some of my camels driving to a 1934 john Deere Triumph wagon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5zgzasnsQg

this a video of our boys pulling the big red wagon for the first time it is a robert inc wagon out of Canda that we rebuilt and painted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDWpmKc-DeE

We are having a camel clinic in Ga april 15, 16, & 17 2010 every one is invited if you want to learn about camels

mother katherine
    Participant

Bivol,
    You find and post the best stuff. I just found this thread about the camels.
    otlichno!!
    oxnun

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Ixy 8696 wrote:

great! I have always loved camels, they seem to be so grumpy butthey do get the job done. I had no idea there were different breeds of camel!

question – do they graze, or browse, will they eat hay/silage do you know? I’m asking because I wonder if they’d live with my oxen 😮

ive got a big steer (2450 i gess thats big) that is turned out with my baby camels he is a baby sitter carring a pair of 16 inch knives (horns) ! pecking order goes somthing like this Horses ,camels (adults), cattle most cows will move over for the adult camels ! i had a brahmen bull (850 to 900 pound range) him and my big bull camel would ruff house (they enjoyed it back and forth) the ole bull got mad one day and realy went to putting the horn to the bull camel (past the point of funny) the ole camel just put his head under the bull!!!1 and flipped him over the 4 foot fence!!!! easy peasy booomp on the ground!!! the next day they were playing again and the old bull kept those knives oof the camel!!!!! lesson learned!!!! and yes to all the questions graze, browse ETC …….think goat on STERROIDSSSSSSSSSSS! thanks scott

Nat(wasIxy)
    Participant

Great! Thanks for the info…now I just have to find a few thousand £ssss……. :'(

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Ixy 15811 wrote:

Great! Thanks for the info…now I just have to find a few thousand £ssss……. :'(

ive got a young camel for sale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scott

Nat(wasIxy)
    Participant

Great news!…how much is shipping to england? 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Ixy 16007 wrote:

Great news!…how much is shipping to england? 😉

they gottem there that might be more cost efficient !!!!!!!!!:eek:

might be cheaper to just move over here!!!!!!!! hope you enjoy the videoSSSSSSSS! scott

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.