DAPNet Hook?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I am thinking about something that everyone needs that DAP could produce and sell. Everyone that starts out with a team needs a good hook that will bolt onto an evener or single tree, and take a chain, and has a simple handle that will help them pick it up with one hand, while backing and turning a team or horse.

Is the perfect hook already commercially available? Could we get one made and sell it for more than the cost of production? let me know what you think. Donn

Reva Seybolt
    Participant

all the ones with a handle I have seen have been homemade. great idea, Reva

Michel Boulay
    Participant

Hi y’all,
    Good idea Donn! As an example Aaron Martin carries two logging hooks to fit a person’s use. Personally I find them a little expensive but gives an idea of what they could look like. With a little research we could find other models.

Mike

jen judkins
    Participant

I’ll be the first one to order one….been asking John Plowden to make me one for a couple of years! 😉

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Michel, Is Aaron a person or a catalog? I was just going to check it out. Do you have a link. Thanks Donn

I have the begin of design in mind. I will try to share drawing this week. D

Rick Alger
    Participant

I’m not Mike, but Aaron Martin is a company in Canada.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Sounds like a great idea. I inherited one nice grab and have made 2 more (a second for me and one for a friend). I have attached a rough image of how I’d do it third time around. I estimate materials to be around $10. A decent welder should be able knock one out in under 30 minutes especially if he/she is doing many at a time.

George

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Michel Boulay
    Participant

Sorry for the lack of info Donn, Aaron Martin is a Harness & supplies for horses, Dairy & pet shop in Ontario there web site is http://www.aaronmartin.com. There like Meaders in New-Hampshire. They do have a catalogue. Catalogue is also on a cd.

Mike

Carl Russell

I like George’s design. I use the set-up I have precisely because I want to be able to hook to any piece of equipment I have, not just choker chains, so the ring should double as a handle, and as a hitch point for tongue hooks, or hammer straps. If the loop was a bit heavier than 1/4″, maybe 3/8″, and hardened then it could become a multipurpose hook.

Carl

dominiquer60

Greg Lange posted a similar hook on facebook, it had a swivel and more of an inverted triangle handle, he got his from Sampson Harness 6 years ago for $50.

page 32 http://www.samsonharness.com/publications/catalog-lo.pdf

• This reply was modified 9 years, 12 months ago by dominiquer60.
    Carl Russell

Here are two variations that I have given thought to over the years, but have not had the manufacturing skills to make them happen.

One important feature that I keep trying to improve is keeping the length short as possible, so the swivel should have its own clevis end…

Anyway, that’s my 2.5 cents, Carl

Attachments:
    Does’ Leap
    Participant

Carl I agree that length is important. All the designs that I have seen (including Sampson’s) terminate in a ring requiring a clevis and thus adding length. Although your bitch link design is versatile, I would not like having to feed chain through it while logging. I like to grab and go…

Erika, it is not clear from the drawing but the design I posted does swivel. The head of the bolt swings free in the cradle of the clevis. Having a swivel is key.

George

Carl Russell

Just to be clear I do not feed chain all the way through. I can grab a link withing 2 of the choker and all I have is a small loop through the eye. It is grab and go, and it never gets caught on stumps, brush, or roots when dragging on the ground.

I have handled a lot of hooks and hooked a lot of chokers, and have found no better hook for efficiency, handling, and holding up to abuse, than a bitch link.

Here is a picture showing the bitch link on a log…. I have never had one come unhooked being hitched like this.
    Carl

Attachments:
    Does’ Leap
    Participant

Carl, that makes sense. You have explained this before and I forgot. Interesting single tree. Your design? A draft buffer? Can you take a picture of it alone and report?

Regarding the swivel/grab, another feature I would like is the ability to carry two chains. I will often fell trees across my skid road, back the horses perpendicular to two logs and pull both at once. This is not in the design I posted as it would necessitate a deeper, forged hook and would increase the cost significantly.

George

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

This is great. One idea I have been kicking around is to have one cut out of flat steel. I will sketch a drawing of what I am thinking and scan it tonight. weld on threaded rod to bolt into a clevis swivel. Talk to you all soon, Donn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.