DAPNet Hook?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Carl Russell

George, that was one of Andy Carson’s draft buffer wiffletrees. Extensive discussion in this thread…. http://flofarm.org/dap/forums/topic/draft-buffers/page/12/

Carl

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi All, No scanner today, but I took a picture of a drawing. I will see if I can attach it. It would need to be cut in a shop that could cut with a computer, but 50 or 100 might be cheep enough. Then they would be easy to weld and assemble. I think the function looks good.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Here is the prototype for DAPNet Hook. I like it a lot. The factory version will be hardened and have a little better hole alignment! Let me know what you think as we might start selling these. Donn

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Carl Russell

nice

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Hi Donn:

Very slick! What do you think about making the slot a bit deeper to prevent inadvertently losing a chain?

George

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

The only problem with making the slots deeper is I would have to make it bigger over all, which is tempting as i could make the handle slightly bigger as well. Even another quarter inch would make a difference. I am planning to make a few small refinements before I make a match. So far the response has been encouraging. Donn

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Still working on the pricing for a short production run. Should have a price in a couple days. I am now thinking about making two slightly different versions. The first I call the “firewood hook” Made of plate steel, but not hardened, with the clevis pictured above 1 1/2 x 1/4 steel, and slots for 5/16 chain. And then make a “logger pro” slightly larger, thicker handle, made from hardened tool steel (hardened after it is cut), with a heavier clevis (5/16 x 2″ strap) and 3/8″ chain slots. This hook will likely cost 20 or 30 more than the basic one. I am thinking of making some of each.

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

I suggest sticking w one model for simplicity. If a significant purpose of this endeavor is “advertising” DAPNet, and you desire wide circulation, I would not plan on sales but on doorprizes, contribution premiums and other give-a-ways. This strategy would indicate the less expensive model (that might end up as a paper weight).
    I will wait for the keyhole grab model, though I have not been able to figure out how to incorporate “DAPNet” lettering onto one.
    Thanks for your work on this Donn.
    Mark

Carl Russell

Hey Donn, great work so far….. I personally would not even make a soft steel version, just will not hold up… I think it will be a detriment to the idea…. it will appear to be poor workmanship, just like the darned hold-back hooks that look so good, but stretch out in a few weeks.

Just my two cents having used both under, and over-engineered equipment in the woods. Much wiser to err on the side of over-engineered. Probably costlier initially, but you’ll only need to buy one. And that is advertising you cannot pay for.

Carl

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

I agree with Carl and look forward to trying one in the woods.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Thanks for these thoughts. I have no problem using a 3/8 slot with 5/16 chain. Anyone else see this as a problem? I think the input to just make one makes a lot of sense. But hope I am not making paper weights! I will make some one a DAPNet paper weight if they want one! I will keep you posted.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Hey Donn, why not stick with a 5/16″ slot? You are much more likely to lose a 5/16 chain in a slot to large, especially if it is a relatively shallow slot. I think 3/8 chain is more appropriate for a skidder and overkill for horses. Granted I am only moving 20-30 mbf/year, but my grade 70 5/16″ chain has held up well – even pulling tree-length hemlock and logs in excess of 300 feet. My chains are pretty dinged-up, but I have yet to break one. How many of you horse loggers out there are using 3/8 chain?

If you stick with a 5/16 slot, it is easy enough to grind off 1/16″ to accommodate a larger chain.

George

Carl Russell

I have a few 5/16″ logging chains that are at least 15 years old with virtually no apparent wear.

I also have several 3/8″ chokers that I use semi-regularly.

I actually use the 5/16 in a 3/8 slot with no adverse effect. My hooks, and hitch slots can accommodate both size chains, but I generally agree that 3/8″ chokers are overkill for horses…. even small tractors and crawlers….

Carl

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

I only use 5/16 chain. 3/8 is way to heavy to handle. The only times I have had problems with the 5/16 is when someone borrowed it and used it on a bucket for picking and loading heavy equipment. If you keep an eye on the condition of your chains, and use high-strength chain, 5/16 should not be a problem. Don’t get the schedule 30 or whatever it is that the local hardware carries.

Hopewell Farm
    Participant

Like others, I use 5/16″ grade 70 chain for my chokers and would agree that 3/8″ chain is overkill for horses. I would be tempted to keep the slots at 3/8″ though, then it would work for both 3/8″ and 5/16″ chokers. The grab hook I currently use is sized for 3/8″ chain, but has never slipped on my 5/16″ chokers. I actually like a little bit of slope so it’s easier to get the chain set and removed from the hook.

I would also agree with Carl and Mark, make one well made product suitable for logging.

John

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.