equine insurance

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Horses equine insurance

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ethalernull
    Participant

we have a vegetable farm with a CSA using horses on leased land. our general liability insurance provider dropped us when they learned about the horse-powered component to our vegetable farming because they didn’t want the ‘equine exposure’ and crop production in 1 risky package. my insurance agent now suggests i file another LLC for the horses and insure them separately as we have not been able to find an insurance provider to cover both crop production (with pick-your-own) and equine exposures. does anyone have an equine insurance provider that they work with or a general liability provider that would cover both crops and horses? any thoughts on this situation?

thanks, evan

dominiquer60

I am not a fan of insurance period, but modern times call for such nonsense, Farm Family insures our menagerie of businesses. What state are you in?

ethalernull
    Participant

ny

Anthony
    Participant

I use Erie-Niagra through Lofgren in Chatham. They know we have cows and horses, I declined to have them insured. I guess there might be a difference in ‘horse exposure’ to the public if you are giving rides or working the horses when visitors are around? I don’t remember them mentioning anything around this.

Who dropped you if you don’t mind me asking?

dominiquer60

Farm Family covers my vegetable “farm” under a special gentleman farm type of package, my agent tells me at my size it is cheaper that way and I don’t own the land or infrastructure which are already insured by them through Sam and Family. If my animals were to inadvertently harm someone on the farm the people are covered, if my animals drop dead from lightning, the animals are not covered. It is minimal for sure, but I really don’t plan on using my insurance unless there is a fire or theft, or god forbid someone gets hurt. I could have them insured for off farm events, but it costs more to insure 2 humble oxen than it cost Sam to off farm insure 6 horses, so to heck with it, on the farm they stay. I also have renters and product liability insurance through Farm Family. They don’t give me any trouble about “equine exposure” and crop production. Evan, was your former agency worried about “equine exposure” to the crops or to people? Sam’s parents under their own farm policy are covered for ‘equine exposure’ for people that we may give rides to (on farm) or trespassers that wander up the road from the ice cream stand. The horses are on their property so that gives them a degree of protection from stupidity, not much, but a little.

mitchmaine
    Participant

hey ethan, we have farm family too. great bunch if you like insurance. the dept. of agriculture has a generic sign here (maine) warning visitors about the dangers of horses and stating that anyone who reads the sign is taking their own risks. it protects the farmer. its a funny read and is embarrassing to post but I guess it covers you well. in the end anyone can sue anyone regardless of insurance, its the world we live in that we all seem to be trying to bail out of. give belle a hug for me. mitch

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Farm family covers our horses for something like $20 per year for liability.

ethalernull
    Participant

thanks all for the input.
    anthony- i went through metzwoodharder in chatham and was insured by erie & niagara as well. my agent at metzwood harder said that erie & niagara went on our website and saw that there was pick-your-own farm visitations by the public and horse farming and got spooked and dropped us.
    erika- i think the former agency was concerned about the risk of people visiting the farm and getting injured by the horses…?
    jared- seems like going through farm family for some equine insurance might be the way to go, i don’t give rides so i dont need insurance for that.

belle says hello, mitch!

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Evan,

We had a similar problem but it wasn’t the CSA that gave us trouble it was the sugar house component.

We have bundled everything from auto, home and product and animal liability through Farm Family as well. We have never had any trouble with this company and have had them for several years however it is pricey but a necessary evil.

Ed

Hopewell Farm
    Participant

Broken record, but Farm Family insures our farm and logging endeavors with our horses. We do a bunch of work off farm on neighbor properties (hay production, grazing, etc.) and are fully covered for a variety of issues. I like the company, but our agent is the one that knocks it out of the park and makes sure we are covered. We are located in VT.

ethalernull
    Participant

got a date with farm family agent today for the whole-farm package, thanks for the advice everyone

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.