Farmer Brown’s ‘Plowing with Horses’ video

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Books/Resouces Farmer Brown’s ‘Plowing with Horses’ video

• This topic has 15 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jac.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    jen judkins
    Participant

OK, I’ve become a plowing junkie! I attended the first annual GMDHA plowing bee with Reno and won our class….single horse walking plow. We were the only participants in the class. I would normally exclude that bit, but we did a pretty pathetic job….AND I’m told there are not many single horse contestants out there….so voila, I have a new obsession!

Anyhoo, Farmer Brown attended the GMDHA auction saturday on his way to the Billings Farm plowing bee (his horses are enormous!) today. I spoke with him about a single horse walking plow and bought his plowing video. It was pricey and I balked at first…but I have seen 2 of the 3 DVDs and am very impressed. He gives a nice overview of harnessing, eveners, yokes, etc. and why one type is better than the other, then describes how to renovate an old plow (I found this part delicious!). He then sets about plowing with a walking plow, describes how to adjust it and what the ideal furrow should look like. Then he shows you how to be a perfectionist and fix your ‘mistakes’. He then goes on to a three horse walking plow and then a two horse one way sulky plow. Then a two way in hard gravelly soil, etc. etc. You get the picture.

Very nice resource for anyone who wants to plow with horses…

OldKat
    Participant

@jenjudkins 17965 wrote:

OK, I’ve become a plowing junkie! I attended the first annual GMDHA plowing bee with Reno and won our class….single horse walking plow. We were the only participants in the class. I would normally exclude that bit, but we did a pretty pathetic job….AND I’m told there are not many single horse contestants out there….so voila, I have a new obsession!

Anyhoo, Farmer Brown attended the GMDHA auction saturday on his way to the Billings Farm plowing bee (his horses are enormous!) today. I spoke with him about a single horse walking plow and bought his plowing video. It was pricey and I balked at first…but I have seen 2 of the 3 DVDs and am very impressed. He gives a nice overview of harnessing, eveners, yokes, etc. and why one type is better than the other, then describes how to renovate an old plow (I found this part delicious!). He then sets about plowing with a walking plow, describes how to adjust it and what the ideal furrow should look like. Then he shows you how to be a perfectionist and fix your ‘mistakes’. He then goes on to a three horse walking plow and then a two horse one way sulky plow. Then a two way in hard gravelly soil, etc. etc. You get the picture.

Very nice resource for anyone who wants to plow with horses…

Cool thanks for the evaluation.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

I borrowed the dvd from a friend and also liked it quite a bit – highly recommended.

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

He earned the name Farmer Brown and is a committed to this culture as much as anyone I know. I recommend anything he has to offer educational or equipment wise. You get what you pay for with this guy. His success is not doubt attributable/relative to his wonderful wife and partner Linda.

~

jac
    Participant

This sounds like a great video. Where can I buy one ? Do you have to buy direct ? Dont remember him advertising in SFJ. Thanks in advance..
    John

mitchmaine
    Participant

once you become a plowin’ junkie, the next step is a harrowin’ addict.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

John:

google Farmer Brown and you can buy it from his website.

grey
    Participant

I own this video as well. If you don’t have an old horse farmer at your disposal, Farmer Brown’s instructional plowing video is the next best thing. I enjoyed it.

near horse
    Participant

Good one mitch!

harrowin’ addict

jac
    Participant

Thanks George.. was on the site just now.. AWWSOME.. you guys are so lucky having a resource like that in your own country…
    John

Draft Horse Photos
    Participant

That’s the same Farmer Brown whose team ran off while running the obstacle course during the practice day at the US Horse Plowing Contest in Dayton, Ohio in 2007. He had them hooked to the hay wagon that all contestants were using. As he approached one of the obstacles, he clucked at them to speed them up since this was a timed event. They broke into a trot and suddenly you could see that they were getting faster and faster despite his trying to get them under control (see photo below). He was able to run them in a large circle around the course and took them out into a plowed field where everyone had been practicing all day. When he finally got them stopped, he was laying on his back with the lines up over the rack on the front of the wagon. He was quite embarrassed and took some ribbing, but there were hundreds of onlookers standing all around the grounds and he managed to avoid all of them and no one was hurt. I captured a great photo of a lady with a baby carriage running to get out of the way. His team is well trained and it was totally unexpected. It just goes to prove that one must always be aware of what is happening and ready for anything.

2007-09-01-1125.jpg

2007-09-01-1126.jpg

2007-09-01-1133.jpg

Draft Horse Photos
    Participant

That’s the same Farmer Brown whose team ran off while running the obstacle course during the practice day at the US Horse Plowing Contest in Dayton, Ohio in 2007. He had them hooked to the hay wagon that all contestants were using. As he approached one of the obstacles, he clucked at them to speed them up since this was a timed event. They broke into a trot and suddenly you could see that they were getting faster and faster despite his trying to get them under control (see photo below). He was able to run them in a large circle around the course and took them out into a plowed field where everyone had been practicing all day. When he finally got them stopped, he was laying on his back with the lines up over the rack on the front of the wagon. He was quite embarrassed and took some ribbing, but there were hundreds of onlookers standing all around the grounds and he managed to avoid all of them and no one was hurt. I captured a great photo of a lady with a baby carriage running to get out of the way. His team is well trained and it was totally unexpected. It just goes to prove that one must always be aware of what is happening and ready for anything.

2007-09-01-1125.jpg

2007-09-01-1126.jpg

2007-09-01-1133.jpg

jen judkins
    Participant

Rick, I heard about that runaway…but those horses are not his original plowing team…at least not the horses in his video (who seemed to have some age on them)….so I’ll bet they were still young. You never know though…

jac
    Participant

An old man told me many years ago that you’re not a real horseman till you’ve had 3 runaways… seriously though sometimes all it takes is a team that is normally “bombproof” to be put to a strange vehicle that pulls/sounds/feels strange. They may be allright at the walk but a change of pace can send all sorts of messages..especially at these speed trial obstical cources . I firmly believe the horses sense the excitement and anticipation. Well done that man for avoiding a complete disaster !! that situation can tell the real teamster from someone that drives now and then who may have froze.. We have these speed trials over here and most of the horses get more fired up as they progress through the course to the point of being on the point of runaway as they leave the ring. Ive said for years they should make the turns a lot tighter with a few reversing maneuvers to slow it down and make it more skillfull but its all show folk we have over here and most can only get there teams going round in a big circle.. there are a few exceptions of course and those guys mostly drove for the big breweries, Kevin Flynn being one notable driver, his father Mick was Prince Philips head groom and mentor… Anyway Rick these fotos are excellent, any chance of some ground drive balers:)??
    John

Draft Horse Photos
    Participant

Sorry John, I don’t know of anyone around here who has one of them that they have had in action. It seems that each year one or more of the clubs I belong to has some talk about having a “bailing” day and bringing out the old equipment, but it either never gets planned or it rains and the event is washed out.

You are right about the timed events. They do tend to encourage teamsters to do things with their teams that they normally wouldn’t try. In this case, the event was held in a large field adjacent to a county museum/farm and there were a lot of vehicles coming and going on the road because it was highly advertised. In addition, although it isn’t apparent on the photos, there were several hundred spectators observing this event off to the right. There was also a farrier exhibition going on and there was the usual amount of heckling, etc. from the competitiors. It was a situation that was very conducive to this kind of thing happening. As I said, it was great that this was handled without anyone (or the horses) being injured. Just a little bit of pride was hurt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.