forum make over

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

All of us at DAPNet believe our sponsors / advertisers should be and will want to be integrated across our organization. As web ads will be new for us, we are working out the details as to how to start that; costs; and how to include all the excellent sponsors we already have. Realize we just made a commitment to this project this past weekend. Already this thread is giving us great ideas and feed back! I made note of checking how one can join without a credit card. I don’t see a problem with it, but I plan to make sure. I also like the idea of a trial period, but I will have to see if that is technically difficult or simple. I am excited by all the positive feed back. I know the web committee plans to work hard to get this process going as fast as we can. Hopefully some day with in the next month or two we will all have to take a day off from DAP (ugh) will the switch is thrown. keep the feed back coming.

Doug
    Participant

I think it’s a great idea!

Doug

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

@Marshall 39253 wrote:

….do not have any credit cards? ….

We will have an address for sending checks, money orders, international money orders, cashiers checks, etc.

fogish
    Participant

There are also debit cards, pre-paid credit cards, some gift cards can be used online like a credit card, paypal and payment systems like that can withdraw directly from a bank account. Something that happens on a couple other forums I visit, someone will sometimes make a donation for another person. Like a surprise gift or to help them out. It depends on what the back end (coding) of the system is like to keep track of it, but it is done.

fogish
    Participant

I apologize for posting so much and I think it is still important for people to voice their opinions here whether or not they agree with the majority so far. I have another item I would like to address, it is related to the makeover but not the advertisements or memberships.

Making sure we maintain the existing threads and pictures after the make over occurs. I don’t know how extensive the make over will be, just adding some ads or upgrading the version of vBulletin or redoing the majority of the coding for the site. Anyway I just wanted to bring up that concern as well. Keeping what we currently have after the transition; backing up the site in it’s working form. Losing any of the information in the threads would be horrible but losing your personally subscribed threads, private messages and uploaded pictures, things that are part of your personal account would make for a bumpy new start.

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

I, too, don’t have a bank account – I think I’d have to make a trip to Lewiston to find any source for a pre-paid card. So having a place to send a m.o. would be helpful. I am a bit uncomfortable with ‘membership’ dues in order to post – if money’s tight & membership ends, then a person would be unable to ask what could be an important question. I was originally attracted to this forum, in large part, because I was able to access information & ask questions (especially safety-related questions) for free…when money was very, very tight. On the other end of things, I am on a different agricultural forum that has an easy-to-find button to click to access the way to donate…and another idea: sponsorship of another = if I got the cash, being able to donate to ‘sponsor’ someone who doesn’t. On this other site, there’s contests wherein people can win various member-donated items & a free year’s “premium” membership, which also helps some (if they’re lucky enough to win) to access the “member only” areas., which are primarily the ‘store’, members advertising areas (such as our ‘equipment for sale’ area) & chat rooms. Suggestion: non-members being able to view the photos would draw them in…but only ‘premium’ members (paid dues) could post them.
    Just my thoughts on this.
    I do want to take this as an opportunity to thank and acknowledge the members here who work so hard “behind the scenes” as it were, to keep this place open, running & the best place I’ve personally found to get information that is very much needed by myself (and I’m sure, others).

Thank you, all.

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Great thoughts, I think we plan to provide alternate methods of payment for those who do not have access to credit or debit cards. Although it is too early to discuss the actual cost of membership or access to the forum, the idea is to generate funds to make it sustainable while keeping it affordable for all.

I like the idea of being able to sponsor other members for those who can’t afford it, whether it is from an individual or business sponsor.

We value the users on the forum and look forward to continuing the quality and friendly atmosphere it provides.

Ed

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Ed, I believe we have already discussed the cost of membership and the proposal is anything over a dollar. Now there are a few things to remember about that. First this isn’t set to start yet, and when it does there will be time for all of our existing members to adjust to the new system. Two more points I would like to make. First, vbulletin and our servers are barely getting it done now. being a free site is not really getting it done. Consider another aspect of DAPNet as it is currently configured. We are an organization of just over 200 paying members, many of whom don’t use DAP.COMand many that don’t use it much, While over 4000 free members enjoy this great site. I don’t begrudge them this site, and wish it could remain free, but as an organization, the web users should want a balanced organization that represents all of us. This broader membership will help us do that. The best way to think of the donation is not access to dap.com, which is still nearly free, but as a donation to an organization you support at what ever level you can.

You will be able to stick the member donation in an envelope and mail it to us. Saving all our archived posts and photos is very important and something will plan to ensure. Thanks for all the input.

Carl Russell

As I understand it, a person can gain free access to DAP.com by becoming a paying member of DAPNet, which deepens their connection to the network/community and support of the organization to complete its mission.

Folks who keep their annual membership to DAPNet should have no problems continuing to use this site.

I think it is important to make the site affordable to folks who may be occasional users, but I don’t think DAPNet needs to be apologetic for the cost/value that this site provides, and how it fits into the broader operation of an important network.

Folks who want to read, can do it for free, those who want to benefit by engaging in the network, should seriously consider contributing to the operation of the organization.

Current DAPNet annual membership is a whopping $20 for an individual, $30 for a family. There is a common expression by folks from “afar” that they may never personally benefit from DAPNet regional activities, but those activities make this site valid, and you will get the newsletter, and you will be supporting an effort that could eventually grow to where it could support activities in your region, either directly, or indirectly.

Seems like a no brainer to me…… but of course I’m biased…..:rolleyes:

Of course these figures may change as official DAPNet BOD members (Which I am not) refine this strategy, and what I am saying should not dismiss the idea of a nominal expense to just be on this site, but I want to encourage folks to consider full membership in DAPNet also, which will kill two birds with one stone.

Carl

near horse
    Participant

I’ve been on forums where you have limited access as a guest user – example would be access to the draft animal subsection only while being made aware of the other “member only” sections. Maybe you’ve discussed this possibility already.

Andy Carson

We were thinking of having the whole site accessable as a “read only” for free, but you can’t post or view photos unless you join. This serves at least two major purposes. One, obviously, is that it makes some money to fund this site. The other is that by requiring at least a $1 donation to post, we cuts down on the number of spammers that have to me manually screened. We have up to 1000 applications a day! Imagine screening those… Some legit people cant get through and sometimes a spammer gets through. It is a sign of success, in some ways, that we are big enough to be this attractive. It costs time and money to fight this, though, to keep quality high. I am open to lots of ideas about what an intro membership would be like, so long as no one can post without first donating.

dominiquer60

Andy, Just to clarify that would be $1 donation to register to post, not $1 per post? This may not be clear to all.

Andy Carson

Oh, yes, yes, yes. A $1 or more donation to register and you can post all you want!

blue80
    Participant

I like the read only aspect for free; One forum I have frequented is a green building forum that allows you to view about 20 posts before a popup comes to view saying “you have viewed the maximum allowable posts before logging in” I think that may be so that individuals aren’t trolling the forum in order to gain peoples phone and email info from individual threads?

As a side note and with a different option,
    I see some value of this organization being a part of a larger organization. I think there would be a long term benefit, both saving overhead costs and gaining greater exposure, to actually being a part of and integrated into a larger type of community. Because for me, though draft power is a huge part of my vision for the future, it is in fact only a single arrow in the quiver… I wonder if the DAP organization would lose some control, but gain a much broader influence in the sustainable farming/logging community.
    I read between the lines, or read directly, that finances are a day to day issue for DAP. I have seen some small 501 c3 ‘s in the past do great for a few euphoric high fiving years, only to sputter when the maintenance gear is reached.
    For instance, in the past the “Insulating Concrete Form” association had held its own non profit, yearly conferences, propoganda, committees, code reviews and processing, overhead and mangerial staff; All paid for by $300 dues from industry affiliated entities. When this ICF association joined as a subsidiary of the Expanded Polystyrene Industry, a lot of costs were decreased, market exposure increased exponentially, and the ICF industry burgeoned, entering the construction “mainstream, ” which is what the sales based manufacturers of course wanted….
    Since “growth” has been advocated in past posts for DAP, I recommend somehow embedding with those who AREN”T draft powered savvy.

Just a thought, nothing against how things are going now….

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

@Carl Russell 39328 wrote:

…..I think it is important to make the site affordable to folks who may be occasional users, but I don’t think DAPNet needs to be apologetic for the cost/value that this site provides, and how it fits into the broader operation of an important network.

Folks who want to read, can do it for free, those who want to benefit by engaging in the network, should seriously consider contributing to the operation of the organization.

Current DAPNet annual membership is a whopping $20 for an individual, $30 for a family. There is a common expression by folks from “afar” that they may never personally benefit from DAPNet regional activities, but those activities make this site valid, and you will get the newsletter, and you will be supporting an effort that could eventually grow to where it could support activities in your region, either directly, or indirectly…….Carl

I was involved in the BoD discussions about this and we cut a pretty wide swath of possibilities. My sense of this $1 concept is that we are not asking specifically for $1, (PayPal will probably get most of that) we are asking folks to give some thought to what this site and the interaction and information available here is worth to them. What is the value of it to you? Can you get this information anywhere else? If I am honest about that, the value to me is considerably more than the $20 membership fee. So under this new process I will be paying more than I did with the old membership fee. I hope, and expect, that I am not the only one in that camp. And that has nothing to do with the events although I have been to a couple even though it is a 700 mile trek to get there.

I believe that everyone in the draft animal community has a responsibility to help others develop their skills and understanding of the craft. We are too few and far between not to, and who else is going to support us? We (all of us) are the best source of current and real life information about the practical application of draft animal power. There are no books or videos or anything that could fill the gap if this site cannot thrive. There are many ways to support this site and the organization including financial contributions, posting and joining in the discussions, volunteering to work with the board to build the organization, etc. Just be honest in your assessment and do what you can.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.