Haying 2014

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    LongViewFarm
    Participant

Good luck Ed.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

We mowed 4 acres on Saturday – wet and heavy with some lodged hay. We were hoping to bale today, but tomorrow looks more like it provided it doesn’t rain on Monday night (30% chance).

George

Ed Thayer
    Participant

We baled today and put up 90 in the barn. Small start but good to get some in.

Looks promising for the end of the week.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

We made about 250 yesterday. It had been being washed for a week and was very clean. Hoping mow today, but the forecast for tomorrow isn’t great. The baler is finally working right again, what a relief.

George how did you mowers do? What did you end up with for the adjustment? My hay fields are not as heavy as your it seems.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Hi Donn, Kristan ended up mowing b/c I was selling our wares at the Farmer’s Market on Saturday. She used the 6′ MD with the “Easy Cut” system. Everything but the lodged hay went well. We set it low and tight to try to get under it. When she mowed against the prevailing winds (i.e. north to south) it went OK. South to North, the cutter bar would just roll over the lodged hay. Baling today and expecting 300+ and cutting 6 acres tomorrow.

Happy haying!

George

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Great stretch of weather headed our way. Cut 4 acres yesterday and will likely cut again today so we will be baling on Sat and sun.

The hay was lodged and wet underneath. Very heavy crop this year here. A little coarser than I would like but we’ll take it.

Ed

Ed Thayer
    Participant

Busy last few days as I am sure you all were. One last field today to bale then our first cut is complete.

Ed

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Nearly perfect hay making today. It is fun on days like today. I had 4 hours of compt time in the book for the Fire Department tonight because I thought I would need them; instead Daniel tedded a couple acres with three mares while I raked about three with a mule and a Donkey. At 1 pm. we were hooked up and baling. Baled 225 nice green bales, and then after taking Connie back to her foal, we used a team of horses to bring the wagons into the barn.

Not even late for work! Canceled my time off. Nock on wood, but that is how hay making should be. make a few more tomorrow and I will be ready to do some clipping and cultivating for a couple days. I think my first cutting is about half done after tomorrow. I will make the rest in July.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.