Horse Progress Days 2012

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Rod44
    Participant

Here are our photos from last weekend. It was OK to take pictures of Amish as long as they were not posed. Hit “previous” for some videos and “next” for pictures.

It was a geat time. I was with the guy with the mammoth donkeys.

http://s384.photobucket.com/albums/oo281/Rodhorses/Horse%20Progress%20Days%202012/?action=view&current=DSC00433.jpg

Andy Carson

Nice photos rod, thanks for that. I like the sign “not a mule”! Do you know who makes that red S-tine harrow/cultivator with the rolling harrow shown in photo 50? Does anyone know a price on that tool?

near horse
    Participant

Andy – there is a guy near Mader’s farm in Halfway, OR who built and will build a single horse version of that machine (~3 or 4 ft wide with rollers in front and rear). The front roller/tongue setup works like a 5th wheel. Looked pretty neat but can’t say I kknow who makes the one in the picture.

BTW – nice pics, Rod. Thank you for sharing them.

Andy Carson

Thanks Geoff, did you happen to see it in action? I like the s-tines for sure, but wonder how effective the crumblers/basket harrow are. Any opinions on these?

blue80
    Participant

We have two of these cultimulchers; an 8 ft. and a 4 foot with a pole. They are fantastic implements;
    We went with Maynard Miller of Shipshe Farm Supply out of Shipshewana In. phone 260-768-7271. Maynard readily sent a brochure with pricing options, and was good to communicate with.

The units are made in modular form, so you can gang them together with a large yoke.
    These make very stable platforms for training both animals and teamsters. I like the Shipshe model as it has the crumbler roller baskets front and rear, and really levels out the ground, which is paramount in furrow flood irrigated land.
    Adjusting the spring tines and adding corrugator shovels in place of the chisel points has allowed us to scratch corrugations into existing ground.

We have worked down over 200 acres with them this year. A couple broken welds, mainly due to a bobcat operator stressing the platform when loading the 8 ft. on a trailer…. It would sure be nice for these implements to have “pick points” so we could load them easier and safer.

Jean
    Participant

Great Pictures. Sorry I missed it this year.

Thanks for the pictures and vids! always enjoyable…

Billy Foster
    Participant

Rod44
    Saw the donkeys mowing, really nice team! That was a really nice mower they were pulling as well. He was saying that it pulled really easily, much better and the 6′ he usually uses.
    Billy

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Did anyone that was there happen to see if there were any of these suitable for a pair of lg. standard donks?

Rivendell Farm
    Participant

Great pictures, Rod. It makes up for me forgetting to take a camera. I watched you demonstrate the mower and was impressed by how quiet it was and how easily it pulled. Not to mention the price of over $5,000. Bob

Rod44
    Participant

Robert – I would say good standard sized donkeys should be able to pull the mower with a 5 foot bar. All day long in heavy alfalfa??

near horse
    Participant

@Countymouse 35761 wrote:

Thanks Geoff, did you happen to see it in action? I like the s-tines for sure, but wonder how effective the crumblers/basket harrow are. Any opinions on these?

Actually, I did see it demonstrated but it was in some nice ground that had already been worked up. Seemed to do a nice job but you know that good soil structure/moisture makes most tillage practices “gravy”. These folks operated a HD market garden operation out of Walla Walla. Let me see if I can find their names and perhaps you could contact them for a first hand account of the good and the bad.

Also, I have at least one picture but I can’t seem to clear my picture “cache” here on DAP and I’ve maxed out my useage. Ant thoughts there?

near horse
    Participant

@Rod44 35801 wrote:

Robert – I would say good standard sized donkeys should be able to pull the mower with a 5 foot bar. All day long in heavy alfalfa??

Usually, in my case, the operator gives out before the team really does. 8>0

Andy Carson

@near horse 35813 wrote:

Actually, I did see it demonstrated but it was in some nice ground that had already been worked up. Seemed to do a nice job but you know that good soil structure/moisture makes most tillage practices “gravy”. These folks operated a HD market garden operation out of Walla Walla. Let me see if I can find their names and perhaps you could contact them for a first hand account of the good and the bad.

Also, I have at least one picture but I can’t seem to clear my picture “cache” here on DAP and I’ve maxed out my useage. Ant thoughts there?

Thanks for the thoughts. I am definately attracted to the s-tines and have little doubt that they will work well in my soil. I have more concern over the effects of the roller baskets. I can build something with s-tines pretty easily, but if I want the rollers too, I would probably just buy it. So most specifically, I was kinda wondering about the difference between just s-tines + harrow in a separate operation vs. the cultipacker combo. These things are not cheap, and as I feel I can do the same thing with an additional quick harrowing, so the price kinda made my mind up for me.

I ran out of space for pictures a while ago too. I started to upload photos to facebook, then add them to DAP using “insert image” then “from URL” then I cut and paste the URL from facebook. Because it’s already uploaded to facebook, I can add as many as I want and with high resolution. I think some people can simply drag the images into these messages, but that technique never worked for me.

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

@Rod44 35801 wrote:

Oops! I was meaning the s-tine/crumbler unit. I was thinking that they’d only handle a 4-foot bar on a mower (which are hard to find out this way), but have never mowed, so you give me some encouragement, with that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.